XVII

Beckendorf left early the next morning. I stood with Annabeth, Silena, Travis and Clarisse. Chiron and the other campers behind us.
Travis stands with his arm around my waist as we watch Silena kiss Beckendorf goodbye with teary eyes.

Cupping his face, she slightly pulls away to smile against his lips. "Be safe." She whispers, barely loud enough for me to hear.

Beckendorf smiles. Both hands on her hips. "Yes ma'am." He rumbles.

Blackjack snorts behind him, kicking his hoof impatiently. Beckendorf laughs, reluctantly pulling away from Silena.
He readjusts his grip on his back and climbs on Blackjack's back.

He gives us a small salute.
"Bye Beckendorf." I yell. Travis smiles. "Knock em dead."

Beckendorf grins. "I always do. I'll come back with Percy. Two hours at most." He says.

At this statement, Annabeth stands up a little straighter. I pretend not to notice. Beckendorf sends one last wink to Silena before Blackjack takes off in a sprint. Slowly flying upwards.

We all watch until even the dark speck of Beckendorf and Blackjack is no longer visible.

I take a deep breath. Breathing in the smell of the lake, summer, and Travis's cologne.
Travis slips his hand over to mind. Twirling me around to face him.
"You need breakfast." He says.

I sigh. Looking around at the campers gathered. "Where's Connor?" I ask.

"Patrol. He's up on one of the watch towers. It's just you and me." He murmurs. He yanks my hand and pulls me closer to him. His other hand going to my hip.

"I promised Annabeth she'd have me today." I smile. Travis sighs, his warm breath tickles across my forehead. "It's alright." He says. "You can make it up to me with date night. In my dreams."

I laugh. Nodding as I give in. Ever since I've started working with Katie, I haven't had another dream. And I've had way more control.
For once, I feel powerful. And I feel happy.

I reluctantly pull away from him. Finding Annabeth still standing in the same spot. I sling an arm over her shoulder. "Come on." I say. "You need to get your mind off of things."

Annabeth sighs in response. "I need to be practicing. Working. Getting ready. I can't just sit around and expect the war to solve itself.

I shake my head. Dismissing her protests. "You've been doing that all week. We have to live as well."

And it's true. She's been nonstop training. Even from the Hermes cabin, I hear her sword clashing against the dummies in the arena every morning at the Crack of dawn. When she's not practicing her swordsmanship, she's bent over maps in the big house. Murmuring what would he do.

"What plans do you have?" She asks. I look up at the sky with a smile. The warm sun and the light, barely there breeze. Perfect for the idea I formulated a few days ago. 

"Just trust me." I say.

-

After sneaking some food from the dining hall out, Travis and Connor taught me well in the art of thievery, I went with Annabeth to a small cliff. Overlooking the lake.

Her and I sat down on the soft grass. Watching sunlight sparkle off the blue-green surface. The soft ripples echoing outwards and growing into baby waves that lap at the sandy shore and the pier's legs.