XII

Surprisingly enough, not too many people stared.

Just most.

A lot of kids were singing a song about Achilles and Patroclus. While others lingered around, talking, dancing, arranging smores.

My eye caught on Annabeth's as she talked to some girl. She raised an eyebrow with a small smirk. I roll my eyes, mouthing "I'll tell you later."

The atmosphere around the camp is... nice. I let myself buzz with the warm activity, the smile on my face only perking up more.

"Let yourself forget you're a demigod. Let yourself forget there's a war brewing." Travis says.

My mind dings with an idea as I turn to Travis. "I have to go find someone real quick." I say.

He falters a little, tilting his head like a puppy. "Should I be jealous?"

Part of me is about to tell him, but he's cute when he's jealous. I shake my head. "I'll see you tonight."

I hurry off, pushing through the kids until I reach Annabeth. "Annabeth." I blurt out.

She pauses. Turning to me. "Yes?" She asks.

The girl next to her drifts away as she waves goodbye.

"You need to forget." I say quickly. Seeing her confused expression, I continue. "Travis gave me an idea. This is a time where people can forget they're a demigod.. forget that there's a war... and just be free. So. Annabeth..." I trail off. I don't know her last name.

"Chase." She tells me with a small, amused smile.

"Chase." I nod. "Annabeth Chase... will you forget with me?" I ask.

She laughs, shaking your head. "You are so weird. You remind me of Percy."

I beam. "Sounds like a great guy. So. Is that a yes?" I ask.

She takes my hand as I pull her out into the crowd. Suddenly, the singing changes to a song more upbeat. One I'm pretty sure I heard on the radio once.

I look over at the gathered choir to see Travis standing near them. He gives me a small nod as I smile back gratefully. I turn back to Annabeth, taking her hands as I jump with her to the beat.

Kids around us start to get in on the dancing. I spot Silena dancing with Beckendorf and a girl with long, dark hair. I spot Will dancing with a girl with short red hair and a bow strung on her back.

I even spot Michael dancing with a girl. I look around the bonfire and I realize just how important it is. Every kid here is a soldier. Every kid here could die tomorrow. Including me.

In a life where everyday is a fight and the next is uncertain, it's nice to just... breathe.

My eyes focus back on Annabeth. She's been here since she was seven... fighting since she was seven... and someone close to her is the leader of the opposing side of the war.

Yet, right now... she looks... happy. Her head tilts back as she smiles happily, her braids swaying as she shakes her shoulders.

I'm not sure what's happening with me.. or my powers.. and every day could be my last...But for now... I'm at a party with a friend and I'm having fun.

That's good enough for me.

-

Kids begin to disperse as some kids from the Hephaestus cabin use some tarp to smother the fire. Annabeth and I sit on a log as she hands me the smore she managed to finish making just in time. "Thank you for tonight." She says.