Chapter 6: Are We Bonding Yet?

Now that Zelda and Link had found the other four champions, the group started on their way back to the palace. As they walked, Zelda started explaining some things.

"Before we go back to the castle, we must go to the Korok Forest so Link can get the mastersword." She explained. "It's said that only the chosen one can successfully navigate the forest without losing their way, so Link will lead us through."

Revali rolled his eyes at the "chosen one" words. Urbosa elbowed him and gave him a look. He sighed.

"After Link gets the sword, we'll go back to the palace." Zelda continues. "From there, you'll receive a special clothing item that shows your a Champion, like Link's tunic does. You'll get your room, which you'll be sharing, and then a schedule of training days."

Urbosa looked at the darkening sky. "Princess, I don't mean to change the topic, we should probably begin to find a place to stop for the night."

Zelda nods. "I agree, Urbosa. Unlike how we've been staying in stables the past few days, we'll camp out tonight! It can be a bonding experience.

Though Revali hid it well, he wasn't fond of the idea. Though he would never admit it aloud, the dark made him... uncomfortable. The stables they had stayed in had nice lighting, but it seemed tonight would be different. After they found a nice clearing in the forest, the group began making preparations.

"Urbosa, Daruk, if you could find sticks and flint for a fire that would be wonderful." Zelda said. She turned towards Mipha. "We can go to the river to get water, and Link and Revali, you two will find food."

Revali rolled his eyes and crossed his arms. "Wonderful, I'm stuck with the pathetic knight."

"Oh stop being a baby." Urbosa said, looking angered at the jab. "Link hasn't done anything to offend you. Leave them alone."

Before Revali could reply, she walked off with Daruk. He looked over at Link, who remained a blank slate. Revali mumbled some obscenities and stalked off, listening as the knight followed behind him. They scavenged around for a while, and Revali's nervousness only grew as the sky got darker and darker.

"Ugh!" He said after a while, looking around. "This is so stupid. Maybe Mipha and Zelda will have found something."

Link signed something to him that he yet again couldn't understand. "Oh stop with the stupid hand motions will you?! Just say something, you useless little Hylian!"

Link's hands fell to their sides and they sighed, one of the only sounds Revali had heard from them so far. Revali eyes darted to the shadows. He hated it. Link looked around, and then worry crossed their face.

"What?" Revali snapped. "What is it?"

Link lifted their hands, remembered what Revali said, and picked up a stick from the ground.They messily drew two words in the dirt.

""We're lost?"" Revali read aloud, shakily. "No, that can't be right..."

Link still looked concerned, but this time for Revali. It was the most emotion the Rito had seen on the knight's face. Link scratched something in the dirt again. "Scared?"

Revali rolled his eyes, trying to remain brave looking. "No, of course not. That would be foolish. But we might as well stay put or we'll get more lost."

The two sat under tree quietly. Rain started dripping from the sky, but luckily the large tree sheltered them. But rain meant no fire, which meant more discomfort for Revali. Revali tapped his (fingers?) on the ground, taking a deep breath. Link watched the Rito, feeling a bit bad for him. They weren't the best of friends right now sure, and Revali hadn't been anything but rude since they met- but they knew what it was like to hide fear. And it made them pity the Rito. There wasn't a lot they could do... but...

"...I-It'll... be... alr-right..." 

Revali looked at the knight in surprise. They had spoken... Link's voice was soft and quiet, but also a little raspy.

"You can talk?" Revali asked.

Link shrugged, which he took as "kinda". Revali looked at the sky, which was now fully dark except for the stars and the bright moon. A breeze blew, and he felt Link shiver. Revali wrapped his wing around the Hylian, similar to in the Herbra Mountains. It made Revali feel... strange. But then again, he supposed he could sacrifice his comfort so the little Hylian didn't freeze to death. Link looked up at Revali, confused. Revali's feathers puffed up a bit in embarrassment.

"What?! Do you want me to let you freeze?" He snapped. "Stop looking at me like that!"

Not long after, the two heard some footsteps, Revali snapped his wing back to his side and looked up as Urbosa, Zelda, Mipha, and Daruk came running towards them. Mipha skimmed over them to make sure they weren't hurt while Zelda scolded them on how dangerous it was to stray away from the path. As the group was walking back and chatting, Revali stole a glance at Link, who was walking behind the others. He couldn't quite read the look on the knights face, but he could've sworn a look of jealousy or sadness crossed his eyes.