Chapter 11 - Restless Nights are Better with Company

The following nights, Revali found it hard to sleep. The Champions were the strongest warriors in all of Hyrule, and they couldn't even work together after days of attempts...

...how were they supposed to defeat the embodiment of evil, a centuries old danger, if they couldn't complete a task as simple as cooperating with each other.

Revali did suppose it was partially his fault for being such an ass, looking back on it. That, and their fighting styles were too different. Daruk just slammed into everything, Urbosa's lighting had almost zapped him out of the sky more times than he could count, and Revali's distance attacks could cover the others but they couldn't cover him, and Mipha's skills with her spear were incredible, but she had a similar problem as did Revali. And of course Link couldn't focus on covering them when they had to be the one to lay the final blow to Ganon.

The point was, they were struggling. The king wasn't happy, Impah and Purah weren't happy, the Champions and Zelda weren't happy... yeah, no one liked the current situation.

Revali heard Link toss and turn in their bed for the millionth time and groaned with annoyance. He stumbled up, wanting to wack Link in the head.

"Can you stop moving--" Revali was cut off by his own indignant yelp as he tripped over something on the floor he couldn't see due to his poor low-light vision. "Goddesses' I'm going to shoot myself." He muttered frustratedly.

Revali felt a hand on his wing and looked up, squinting and making out Link's face in the darkness. He could see the hints of exhaustion in their face.

He sighed, his body relieving itself of anger. "I'm... sorry. I know you can't sleep either."

Link's eyes widened in surprise. Revali scowled. "What?" He snapped.

Link's hands started moving again, and he managed to make out a few words, but it was dark and he didn't know Hylian sign that well yet. 

"You... sorry... why?"  Were the words he managed to understand, Link's fingers moving diligently as they "spoke" in the only way they could.

Revali huffed. "I'm not sorry, I'm just being easy on you for now."

Link raised a brow doubtfully. Revali rolled his eyes. "Okay, fine, I feel bad for snapping at you. Just a little. Barely. I still hate you."

Link smirked a little. They smirked. Revali blinked in surprise, he never saw much emotion from the young knight other than that.

He sighed, getting up and brushing himself off. "...sleeping feels impossible right now, y'know?"

Link nodded and crossed their arms, thinking for a second. Then, their face lit up with an idea, but as they moved their hands to sign, they remembered.

They flicked on a lantern and started to scribble something down in the notebook on the table, their hands moving quickly.

"'There's a breathing method in the Hylian guard that helps knights fall asleep quickly, since they guard in shifts. Basically tense up your whole body, and then slowly relax from your head all the way down to your feet while doing box breathing." Revali read aloud as Link wrote. "It calms your body and works pretty well'... if this works so well, how come you're always up late?"

In the dim lantern light, Revali saw Link's eyes widen a little at the question. They huffed and looked away. Revali rolled his eyes and sighed, too tired to get angry right now.

"Whatever, I don't care... and yeah, I'll try this, thanks." Revali muttered.

He looked at Link's tired expression and felt guilty again. He sighed and suddenly scooped them up in his wings, getting back in his hammock with Link still in his arms.

"You fell asleep pretty easily when I had my wing over you... so I'll do a method that works for me and you do one for you. Can't have Hylia's savior go crazy from sleep deprivation." Revali muttered, wrapping his soft wings around Link.

Link was tense for a moment, but the warmth of Revali's wings seeped into their body and they felt themself relax. Link sighed, resting their head on his wing. It felt so... soft.

Link felt their heart flutter a little, their cheeks growing warm. This feeling... the feeling of being warm and safe next to someone... it felt so nice...

They just found it odd that it was Revali of all people who was bringing them that feeling.

Link listened to Revali's soft breathing as he drifted off, and Link found theirself falling asleep too.

For the first time in years, that was the first time Link would be able to say they slept well.