Chapter 2 - Zora's Domain

That night, Link and Zelda set out on their way to the home of the Zora's. If they really focused, they could be there just after midnight...

Zelda looked at Link after a few minutes of the travel. "Uhm... I'm sorry if I sounded rude to you yesterday. It's just now that all this is actually happening it's really scary and stressful, and I know that's not an excuse but I was being mean. I don't care if you don't talk, it's okay. We can-"

Link put a hand on her shoulder to stop her. 

"It's alright." They signed. "If it helps, I'm nervous too."

Zelda looked surprised for a minute, and then smiled. "It does. To know that I'm not the only one who's worried."

Link nodded. Zelda started chatting again, and they listened to her quietly. Maybe what the two of them had was a good dynamic. Zelda liked to talk about her interests, and Link preferred to listen. 

"...I've never met a Zora before!" Zelda was saying. "Have you Link?"

They nodded. She looked surprised. "Really? Who?"

"Mipha" They signed.

Her eyes widened. "The princess? How?"

"I accidentally wandered into part of the domain, since it wasn't far from my village. She was swimming in one of the little ponds nearby, and we became friends really quick as little kids do. She's always been a good friend." They replied.

"Only you would get lost and then somehow meet the princess of the Zora's." Zelda said with a small laugh.

Link smiled. And this time, it was genuine. It felt good to feel good, and Zelda was a joy to be around when she wasn't being... well... moody. But they understood why, and she had the right to be upset and let her feelings out. 

~~~~~~~~

A few hours later, Zelda and Link arrived at the entrance of Zora's domain. While Link was used to late nights, the princess looked like she was about to fall asleep sitting up. 

"You can fall asleep, Storm should be well trained enough to stay on the path." Link signed.

(A/N: Fun fact! The name of Zelda's white horse is Storm :D)

Zelda shook her head and yawned. "No, no, I should be able to greet the Zoras."

Link smiled. "Well, I admire your dedication."

Zelda smiled at the praise. As they traveled across to the bridge and to the domain, they were immediately greeted by Zoras.

"Princess Zelda!" One of the guards said. "What brings you and the Hylian Champion here?"

Zelda smiled. "We are here to meet with King Dorephan. We arrived earlier than expected, I hope that isn't a problem."

"King Dorephan and the royal family are already in their sleeping chambers." Another guard spoke up. "But we can settle you both down for the night and we'll let him know in the morning."

"Thank you." Zelda said as Link gave the guards a respectful nod.

The two found a place for their horses and then were taken to one of the guest rooms in the palace. The two were going to refuse, but the soldier insisted that King Dorephan wouldn't mind a bit. They settled down to sleep, exhausted from the long journey...

~~~~~~

The next morning, Link and Zelda quickly made their way to the throne room after a quick breakfast in their room. When they arrived, Link was immediately tackled by Sidon, the young Zora prince.

"Link! I'm so happy to see you!" Sidon said, giggling as Link swung him into the air and picked him up. "I knew you would visit like you promised! A good knight always keeps a promise!"

Link smiled as Mipha hurried forward to scold Sidon. "Sidon! You know better than to come at visitors like that!"

Link would've signed to Mipha saying that there was no need to be chastising the young prince, but their hands were full. Zelda's answer sufficed though.

"I'm sure Link doesn't have a problem with it, heh. I assume you're Mipha? It's a pleasure to meet you." Zelda replied with a small curtsy.

Mipha smiled. "It's an honor to meet you, Princess Zelda."

"Just Zelda is perfectly fine." She turned to the King. "King Dorephan, will your chosen warrior be here soon?"

"You're standing right next to her, Princess of Hyrule." He said, gesturing to Mipha. "My daughter has had the most expert training offered, and I assure you that defeating Gannon will be an easy task with her piloting Vah Ruta."

Link smiled at his friend, who was standing up straight and tall. Zelda turned back to the other princess. "Well, welcome aboard Mipha. I'm sure you're prepared to travel with us back to the castle? We'll be making stops to the other Divine Beasts before we return."

Mipha nodded. "I am packed and prepared for the journey."

Zelda looked satisfied. "Wonderful."

King Dorephan looked at the Princess and her Knight. "You two are welcome to stay one more day."

"Thank you for the offer your majesty, but it is crucial that we must leave now in order to get back to the castle as soon as we can."

He nods. "I understand." He turns towards his daughter and gives her a small, gentle pat on the head. "Good luck, my little minnow. I believe in you. Remember that I love you."

Mipha smiled and hugs her father. "I love you too, dad. I promise I'll make you proud."

"I have no doubt in my mind."

Sidon jumps down from Link's arms and clings onto Mipha. "I don't want you to go! Can I come too?"

Mipha gives Sidon a hug. "I'm sorry little brother, but it's too dangerous. I promise that I'll write plenty of letters and be back as soon as I can, okay?"

He sniffs. "Promise? Promise that you'll come back?"

"Always, no matter what. I'll be okay."

With that, the three travelers set off on their way to Goron city. Zelda hung back as Mipha talked and Link signed to her. It wasn't that she was jealous of them talking, but rather of the relationship between the Zora king and princess... she shook her head and caught up with the two. Now was not the time to be wishing for better things. She had a job to do.