𝕎𝕙𝕖𝕟 𝕀'𝕞 𝔾𝕠𝕟𝕖 ~ ➊

(Picture portrays Ariana at age 16)

Before Link awoke in Breath Of The Wild, 7 Years After Prologue

Ariana P.O.V

The sound of blades crashing against one another filled the courtyard as the Gerudo battalions trained. It was a familiar sound. Comforting almost. Ariana hoped that was a fitting trait for a warrior.

And not a sign of ruthlessness. 

A Gerudo warrior believed in honour and respect just as much as they believed in skill instead of weapon.

Ariana would always spend hours of her day watching her mother, Sarisona, train with her soldiers, and at night she would sneak out to watch her mother do patrols. It was strange how she would settle down in the aqueducts first thing in the morning and then suddenly the sun would be setting.

Her mother shouted an order to the soldiers and they stopped instantly. Discipline, when I'm a warrior, I'll need discipline. 

"That's training for the day," Sarisona's voice boomed across the clearing "you know your patrols, make sure to rest and take care of yourselves, an unhealthy and tired soldier is no use in battle." She gave a final hand gesture and they all broke away.

Just as her Aunt, Buliara, was about to leave, Sarisona grabbed her arm and from what Ariana could tell, her mother needed to tell Aunt Buliara something. And from the look on her mother's face, it wasn't good.

They waited until all of the other soldiers were gone before Sarisona began talking. Ariana could only make out a few words, "having visions... murdered... Ariana... look after... you... Captain of the guard... please."

They said a few more things that Ariana couldn't hear before leaving. Ariana crept carefully behind her mother, making sure to keep a distance, to make sure she wouldn't be spotted. Her mother halted suddenly, catching her off guard and making her stumble a little.

"Ariana, I know you're there, get down here please," Sarisona commanded softly. Swiftly, Ariana leapt from the wall. 

"Ariana, I know you're going to sneak out and watch me on patrols, don't deny it!" She said softly "But I need you to stay home tonight."

"But mother why? And how did you know about-" Ariana started.

"I'm the captain of the guard, Ari, nothing gets past me," Sarisona diverted her gaze from Ariana's eyes and had the look on her face that Ariana knew all to well. She was thinking about father. 

"Do I... remind you of him?" she asked and Sarisona gave her a shocked look "it's my eyes isn't it? I have his eyes, don't I?"

"Ariana," Sarisona said looking deep into Ariana's deep blue eyes "your eyes may be his, but that doesn't mean the rest of you has to be."

Ariana sighed "mother, I love you more than Calyban loves hydromelons" she whispered.

"And I love you more than all of the sand and stars combined" her mother whispered back, brushing a strand of loose hair behind her ear and kissing Ariana's cheek.

"Stay safe"

Ariana didn't want to disobey her mother's orders, but curiosity got the better of her. She had to find out what was going on! If her mother had known Ariana has been watching her all this time, what makes tonight any different?

Everything seemed normal, apart from when Sarisona started talking into her bracelet. Ariana had to admit that was a bit odd. Everything seemed normal after that, until the laughing came. The laughter was cold and wicked. Almost unearthly. And in a flash of red light, three Yiga soldiers appeared right in front of her mother. Two of them were masked and obviously Hylian. But the one in the middle wasn't masked. And was most definitely, Gerudo.

The Gerudo had wild green eyes that glowed with insanity and hair that looked as though it had once been long but had then been aggressively cut, but the thing that drew in Ariana's eyes the most, was her sword. It curved, and twisted, it's blade covered in razor sharp needles that would surely slice her mother to shreds.

"Let's cut to the chase, shall we Sari?" The traitorous Gerudo said with a maniacal grin.

Blades clashed against blades as the two Gerudo battled and the Hylians watched from the side.

"It doesn't have to be this way, Thessia!" Sarisona shouted over the crashing of swords "come back home to Gerudo town, it would take a while, but the Gerudo would accept you again."

The Gerudo, Thessia, gave out a hysterical laugh "oh Sarisona, your mercy is your weakness, and it will be your downfall."

Suddenly, Thessia disappeared with the same flash that brought her there and as quick as she disappeared, she reappeared behind her opponent, with a sword right through Sarisona's chest.

Ariana was pretty sure she was screaming, but she couldn't tell. All  emotion had left her body. She couldn't think. Couldn't feel. It was as if the whole world had crumbled beneath her. It was too hot and too cold. Too much oxygen and not enough. To loud and to silent. It was everything and nothing.

She could have stayed there forever, feeling too much and not feeling at all, but the arrow, that flew past her head brought her back to the future. She ducked for cover as two more arrows whizzed past her.

She felt terrible. 

Right when her mother needed her most, she abandoned her. Just like father did.

Ariana Sandsweeper made a vow that day. To forever let the only thing proving her father's very existence, would be her eyes.