THIRTY-FIVE

*TW: Body shaming*

*TW: Body shaming*

Looking at myself in the mirror, seated at the vanity in the guest room, I finish applying my last layer of mascara. I went for a more subtle look this evening with my hair pulled into a half-up, half-down style with loose curls. Tonight we were having the usual dinner at our home. Conrad got in late last night, and I spent the whole day running around the house to make sure everything looked perfect.

The last thing I needed was for him to get upset with me about the state of the house.

We hadn't spoken to each other as he went into the office this morning, and I was still sleeping when he left. I doubt we would have spoken to each other even if that weren't the case. It's been nice not having him here this past week, and I'm happy that he's leaving for another two weeks tomorrow morning. It's relieving not having to worry about avoiding him when he is here.

I had started doing some research this week on what I could go to school for, but I knew I needed to get my GED first. It was something I had started to work on once I turned eighteen. I obviously didn't get too far with that seeing as I met Conrad only a few weeks after doing so, and he told me that getting my GED wasn't necessary - that he'd take care of me.

Just another thing to add onto the list of ways he manipulated me.

It's almost embarrassing how it took me meeting Harry for me to realize just how fucked up my relationship with Conrad has been. I am grateful though that Harry heard me out last weekend, and now he has a better understanding of where I'm coming from when I say I need to get myself situated before I leave.

The last thing I expected to hear from Harry though was that he was going to put together a plan to take Conrad down from a business standpoint. If Harry was able to do that, then I wouldn't have to worry about Conrad coming after me once I leave. Harry and I wouldn't have to constantly be looking over our shoulders, and Conrad wouldn't be able to affect any of Harry's future jobs.

A knock on the door brings me out of my thoughts, and I look over my shoulder to see Conrad popping his head into the room. I notice that his eyebrows furrow once he has a chance to properly look me over. I didn't know he was here, or else I would've locked the door.

"What are you all done up for?" He asks, and I turn completely in my chair to face him.

"I was just getting ready for the-"

"The dinner?" He interrupts me. He lets out a dark chuckle and shakes his head. "Maeve, are you really that stupid? The last thing I would let you do is come to another one of these dinners until you get your problem sorted out."

I bite down on my bottom lip to keep it from trembling, not wanting him to see the effect that him calling me stupid, and then telling me I'm banished has on me.

"To avoid any repeats of what happened last time, I've arranged for Theodore to take you into the city, and then I'll text you to come back when the dinner is over. You can pick whatever you want to eat, but I would suggest something on the lighter side. You look like you're starting to gain weight again."