Ch 11: Dreams

Doc came through the bludgeoned house with his kit. He takes Blade's wrist in his hand and once he does, his face falls. I watch as he digs for something in his bag. He pulls out a needle and he rips open Blade's jeans around one of his thighs. I watch in horror as he pierces his thigh.

"It'll restart his heart."

What's he mean restart his heart? When did his heart stop!?

I watch helplessly as he does an iv on my nephew. He listens to his heart again and gives a small tug of his lips. His hand goes to his wrist and instantly his thumb goes into the air.

"We need to move him." Doc goes to explain but Draven, Dawson, Kaiser, and I have already picked up Blade and begin to walk off. "Now and quickly back to my medic van. I need to see where the blood is coming from." Doc finishes what he was explaining. We carefully but swiftly carry the unconscious boy in our arms. We have him placed to where I'm sideways walking with my hands under his back. Draven has his shoulders and head in place. While the other two have his legs and butt in place so he isn't moving when we walk. We place him on the bed in the medic van and as I glance down at my hands; I realize where all the blood had been coming from. My vision becomes blurry as I scramble with my words.

"His back."

Just like that, my head hits the back door of the van and I topple out unconscious. By the time I wake up; Mac and Doc are working on Blade while Draven sits in the far corner.

"Good, you're awake. We have a 6 hour drive and I need your help with this as well." Doc begins to tell me.

"Is it a great idea considering he passed out over blood to begin with." Draven asks. Ignoring Draven, I wait for Doc to explain what I need to do.

"Make sure this stays open while I fix the nic on his heart. I have to stop the bleeding before I can fix him completely." Doc explains.

I walk over and see Blade's chest is cracked wide open for us all to see. Placing the gloves on my hands, I take the instrument away from Doc and do as he said. I watch as he takes some fancy tool and clotted the vessels. Soon he begins to work on Blade's heart. What felt like hours because it honestly was; Blade's chest is officially closed. He's in stable condition by the time we pull up at the clubhouse. Doc wheels Blade into the clubhouse and into the medical side. As soon as he's placed in a room; his heartbeat line goes flat.

"Out!" Doc screams. I watch from the opened curtains as Doc uses a machine to jump start his heart again. After the third time the line begins to move and his machines have begins to make the normal beeping noise. Doc walks out a minute later with a grim expression on his face.

"He'll be in critical condition tonight. If no issues arise, he'll be on the right path. Blade will have to be strong to pull through. I'll be in here for the night. Get a shower and wash the blood off all of you. And get some damn sleep!" Doc instructs us. I take my shower as instructed but I walk back to the medical ward with a blanket and pillow in tow. The room next door to Blade; I open and crawl into the bed. If the machines go off, I'll be able to hear it. I just need to make sure he'll pull through. That's my little dude after all. By the time my head hits the pillow, I'm out from exhaustion.

"Uncle Dill?"  Blade asks.

"Yes Blade?"  I question back.

"I love you." Blade says with a smile.

"I love you too Blade." I tell me eight year old nephew.

"Between us; you're my favorite uncle." He confesses.

"And your my favorite nephew." I reply.

"But I'm your only nephew." He fires back.

"And when Kaiser or Dawson have a boy; you'll still be my favorite. You'll always hold a special place in my heart." I tell him as I tap my chest.

"Promise?" He whispers.

"Swear. Get some sleep kiddo." I whisper back.

"Why do I hold a special place in your heart?" He asks in the dark room.

"Because you and Eve made me an uncle first. Ever since you were a little tiny baby; you always searched for me when I came to visit. When you was able to stand in your crib; you always done the ET phone home. You'll never understand truly what you mean to me. But I'll show you everyday just how special you are." I explain to my nephew.

"Probably because you had food on your face." He jokes.

Before I can respond, his soft snores echoes the room. I climb out his bed and head off to my own. Before I left, I turned on his motorcycle lamp.

I jump up for my sleep and rub my eyes. If he doesn't pull through; I break the swear I made... He'll never understand what he means to me but I'll show him everyday.

Wait!

I never heard a machine go off.

I trip over my blanket as I climb out the bed. Stumbling out the door and into the hallway where my family awaits.

"He's made it through the night." Doc says as he opens the door. I push past Doc and before I could step into the room a small voice stops me in my tracks.

"Uncle Dill, is that you or am I dead?"

Blade! My sweet nephew, he's alive.