CHAPTER NINETEEN

Olivia opened her eyes and immediately blocked the sun coming through the train windows. She yawned and then stretched before looking around. Most of the passengers were still asleep in their seats. Olivia looked up and found Jamie asleep, his head against the window.
"Hey, you!" Olivia turned and found a man sitting a few seats behind her. He was an older man wearing a dark grey suit and coat that looked costly.
"Me?"
"Yeah. Shouldn't be you be in the nigger car?"
"She's with the nigger lover over there." Another man joined in.
"People like you don't belong here." The first man yelled.
Olivia turned around quickly and forced herself to ignore their taunts. She could feel the tears welling up but didn't dare let them fall. She wouldn't give them the satisfaction.
A man in a red uniform entered the car pushing a cart and began to pass out sandwiches. Olivia's stomach rumbled but when the man reached their seat he glared at her in disgust and turned around.
"It appears we're all out. Perhaps you can find something in New Orleans. Or wherever it is that people like you and him end up."
Olivia watched as he entered into the next car. She sighed and then looked into the bag which contained the lunch Mrs. Evans had packed for them. She saw the sandwich that Jamie never ate and looked at him only to see that he was staring at her.
"You can have it." Jamie urged before stretching.
"No. It's ok. I'll find something to eat when we get off of the train. You should eat."
"Olivia I insist. I'll be fine. Eat the sandwich, please."
"Are you sure?"
Olivia didn't argue. She opened the sandwich and split it in half giving one half to Jamie.
"That should cover things."
"New Orleans!" They heard being called and quickly they grabbed their things and prepared for departure.
They arrived in New Orleans and were soon departing the train. Jamie had been informed that the train for San Diego would come within the next hour.
"Perhaps we can get a proper meal before we board the next train." Jamie said as he adjusted his tie.
"Only this time, don't fight with their politics. I have to problem eating where I'm supposed to eat." Olivia countered.
"You will eat where I eat or..." he looked around platform and smiled when he saw a bench, "that right there is a good spot. Sit there and I'll go and find us something."
Olivia did as told and went to sit down on the bench. She looked around the busy train station and a sense of excitement overcame her. She was almost there. This time tomorrow she'd be in California and with Jamie for that matter.

Jamie entered the small sandwich shop nearby and stood in line. He checked his watched for the and saw that they were making good time. The line wasn't relatively long and so he had no issues waiting.
"Well I'll be damned!" Jamie turned at the voice and his jaw dropped when he saw Tommy sitting at a table near him.
His eyes took Tommy in. He looked as if he hadn't showered in days and he sported a busted lip.
"Tommy?"
"I see you found your way here. Looking for me?"
"Tommy? What are you doing here?" Jamie was thoroughly confused.
"What's it look like I'm doing?" Tommy asked as he opened his arms as if showing off the place to Jamie.
"How's the little piece of ass you were dealing with? Did she die?"
"No, she's alive and well."
Tommy shook his head and reached for a cigarette. Jamie watched as he lit it and inhaled before expelling the smoke.
"No matter what I do, good ole' Jamie Ross always prevail eh?"
"What are you talking about, Tommy?"
"I can't get rid of you!" The entire shop went quiet as everyone looked on their conversation.
"Tommy, I don't know what you're talking about but this is not the place for this."
"Oh, it's the perfect place. Good ole' Jamie Ross the golden son. Got everything he wanted and risked it all for a colored bitch."
"I'm warning you, Tommy. Stop it."
"Sir are you going to order?" Asked the cashier and Jamie placed his order.
"Where is the little bitty eh? I'd like to see her for myself."
"Go anywhere near her and I'll kill you."
"Ouch!" Tommy laughed harshly and took another puff.
"That's exactly what I tried to do to you."
"What?"
"Kill you." There were several gasps and Jamie clenched his fists to keep from connecting them to Tommy's jaw. He didn't understand. Why did Tommy want him dead?
"You tried to kill me?"
"Yes! I had Harold beat you down but thanks to that whore of yours you came through. Next I had Harold come to your office and somehow you managed to overcome that so I figured I'd get you another way. I'd kill the one thing you care about. But the stupid bitch didn't die either!"
"Sir, would you like us to call the police?" The cashier asked Jamie.
Jamie stood in utter disbelief. Tommy, his baby brother the one who's rescued he had come to on several occasions was telling him this.
"I don't understand, Tommy. I'm your brother."
"And you were the Bain of my existence! Mom and dad praised you and didn't give a damn about me! You got everything! The career! the women! You got it all! And here I am..."
"I worked hard for what I have, Tommy. Nothing ever came easy to me."
"I beg to differ."
"I'm sorry you feel that way, Tommy. I never did anything to have a one up on you. I've tried to help you."
"You made my life hell."
The door opened and several policemen walked inside. The cashier pointed in Tommy's direction and they approached him.
"Sir, we're going to have to ask you to come with us."
"You can't take me. I'm leaving in a few days. I've been drafted!"
"Sir, do not make this harder than it needs to be." One of the officers said. They grabbed Tommy by the arms and forced him to his feet. Jamie watched as he struggled to get out of their grip as they escorted him out of the shop.
"Goodbye, Tommy." Jamie whispered. He lowered his head to avoid letting the tears fall down his face and when he felt his face the world again he lifted his head and walked out.

Olivia saw the police arrive and her heart raced. Were they here for her? Did someone tip them off about her and Jamie? She prayed they didn't arrest either one of them. Waiting to see if they'd come out with Jamie in handcuffs her eyes widened when she saw Tommy being forcefully escorted out of the shop.
What was he doing here in New Orleans? Jamie had mentioned Tommy had disappeared after that day but no one knew where. Who would have thought he'd flee all the way to New Orleans of all places?
Olivia watched as they put Tommy into the police car. Her gaze traveled to the shop and she saw Jamie standing outside of it watching on solemnly. His gaze met hers and she smiled at him weakly and he then made his way towards her just as the sound of the train could be heard in the distance.