CHAPTER FOUR

Olivia leaned against the door and blew out a breath. She'd successfully dodged Mrs. Evans once again and for the first time since coming to this town she called out of work. Looking at the sleeping man in her bed she wondered how she would get him out once he was well. She walked over to the bed and placed her hand on his forehead. His fever was subsiding and that was good. After tending to his broken wrist and rib she was afraid when fever had set in. Four days he'd been out of it and Olivia was beginning to worry but now she was happy to know that he would survive.
"I did a thing today mister. I called out of work. Something I've never done before and I've been working since I was sixteen." Olivia had taken to talking to him while he was unconscious believing that he could still hear her. She pulled the chair she'd been using to sleep on beside the bed and inspected his injuries.
His eyes were still black but they were no longer swollen. Neither was his lip. She figured he had to be rather handsome despite the injuries. Did he have a family that was worried sick about him? Kids? A wife? Olivia figured he did. She was inspecting his bandaged rib when she caught him move slightly. Looking up at his face she almost screamed when her eyes met his one that was barely open. He resembled a cyclops.
Steadying her heartbeat she smiled and said "I see you're awake. That's good news."
"Water." She heard him whisper and turned to face him, stunned.
"What did you say?"
"W-water." He whispered again, his voice husky.
"Of course." She quickly turned to the dresser where a cup and a pitcher sat and poured him the water.
"I'll hold it you drink." She said and lifted the glass to his lips. He parted his lips slightly and took a small sip.
"Oh, come on. You can do better than that." She urged him on and he parted his lips again this time taking more.
"Good. Are you hungry? Can you eat?"
"Where...am...I?" He asked. He leaned back on the bed and closed his one eye.
"My bedroom. My name is Olivia Townsend. I'm a nurse at the colored hospital just down the way. I found you on my way home and brought you here." Olivia explained. She sat the glass down on the dresser and felt his forehead again. His fever was slowly breaking.
"O...liv..."
"Yes. Olivia. What's your name?"
"J...Jamie..."
"Jamie? Well, it's nice to meet you Jamie. You gave me quite a scare but I see you're coming around pretty well. You'll be healed in no time." Olivia gently sat him up and adjusted his pillows before laying him back.
"You're...colored?" Olivia paused her movements and stared. After all she had done for him this was what he was concerned about?
"Yes. I am."
"Th-thank you."
Olivia let out a breath of relief and smiled. "You're welcome. Now, can you eat something? I can make some soup."
Jamie nodded slowly and Olivia assured him she'd be back.
Jamie willed his heartbeat to slow down. It was her. The woman from the bar. He couldn't believe it. She'd found him and had brought him home to tend to his injuries. Jamie had to admit he didn't want her seeing him like this. Olivia. Her name was Olivia. He was right she was as beautiful as her name.
The moment he was able to open his eye and see her tending to him he couldn't believe it. She had invaded his dreams. Those full lips and bright eyes. She looked beautiful in the simple skirt and blouse she wore today. Her hair was braided down her back revealing her stunning face. Jamie chastised himself for not even thinking about Alice just once.
Alice.
Dear God, he was engaged. He couldn't fantasize about another woman especially considering she was colored. Get it together, Jamie Ross he told himself. He had to get home. He'd see a doctor when he did one of his own kind.
The sound of the door opening caught Jamie's attention and he struggled to open his eye. Succeeding, he watched as Olivia meticulously carried the tray containing a bowl of soup and a glass of lemonade on the tray. She sat it on the dresser beside him and took a seat in the wooden chair beside the bed.
Jamie hadn't noticed the chair until that moment. Was that where she'd been sleeping? He felt bad. He definitely needed to go.
"It's chicken noodle soup is that alright?" Olivia asked as she grabbed the bowl from the tray. She blew on it softly and stuck the spoon inside.
"I'm...s...sorry." Jamie managed to get out.
"Sorry? What for?"
"Bed." He said flatly. Olivia chuckled.
"You're a patient. I'll get my bed back eventually but you need to get well. Im sure your family is worried sick about you. Your poor wife and kids." She scooped the soup onto the spoon and Jamie parted his lips in anticipation. He didn't realize he was starving until the smell of the soup floated into the room.
Wife? Kids? Jamie wanted to correct her. Something in him wanted her to know he had nothing of the kind but that was a lie. He was engaged.
"It's none of my business really but how many kids do you have?" She asked, feeding him the soup. She watched as Jamie slowly lifted his arm and made a zero sign. Her eyes widened.
"Oh. Im sorry, I just assumed..." she heard the faint sound of laughter coming from him and her eyes narrowed.
"Don't laugh. I figured a man like you would have a family."
"No." He said before swallowing his food. When he'd had his fill he let Olivia feed him the lemonade. He sighed at how good it tasted.
"Better?" She asked when he was done. Jamie nodded and before he knew it his eye was closing and he was fast asleep.