CHAPTER TWELVE

Jamie entered his bedroom and quickly went about going through his drawers. He'd write to Alice and his parents and explain everything. He was sure they would never talk to him again and Alice would more than likely want his head but he couldn't think about any of that right now. First on his was to find Tommy if Harold hadn't gotten to him first.
The sound of the someone knocking on the door had Jamie stopping in mid movement and he closed the drawer.
"Come in!" He called.
The door opened and his parents entered. Jamie noticed the solemn looks on their faces. Oh, no. Was it Tommy? Was he dead?
"Is it Tommy?" Jamie asked getting straight to the point.
"Son," his father said and then cleared his throat. Jamie felt his knees go weak and the room begin to spin. He need to sit. Taking a seat on the chair by the desk he took a deep breath before his father spoke again.
"Jamie..." he father choked out and Nancy wiped the tears from her eyes. She walked out of the room and Jamie could hear her sobs. His heart broke.
"Pa, where's Tommy?"
"This isn't about Tommy, Jamie."
What?
"I don't understand. If this isn't about Tommy then why is ma crying?" His father reached into the back of his pants pocket and pulled out a large envelope handing it over to Jamie. Jamie took the envelope and looked it over. Noticing the government stamp. Opening the envelope Jamie read the letter and his heart broke but for an entirely different reason.

Olivia was anxious. She had agreed to leave with Jamie but they hadn't discussed where they would go or what they would do when they got there. She'd been so on edge the entire day thinking about the day they would leave she could hardly do her job.
"Olivia!" Olivia jumped at the sound of her name being called and dropped the spoon she'd been using to feed the medication to one of her patients. Looking up she saw Dr. Hayes standing in the doorway.
"Yes, Dr. Hayes?"
"Are you alright? You're giving Ms. Ferris Mr. Jones' medication!"
Olivia looked down at the bottle in her hand and closed her eyes. She had to get it together.
"I'm sorry doctor. It won't happen again."
"I know because I'm sending you home."
"You're firing me?" Olivia couldn't help the tears falling down her face. She'd been so wound up in her emotions she was bound to combust.
"I'm not firing you, child. You need rest." Olivia breathed a sigh of relief and Dr. Hayes pulled out a handkerchief and handed it to her.
"Go home."
Olivia nodded and left to grab her things. Walking out of the lounge she gasped when she bumped into someone. Stepping back she groaned when she saw it was Parnell. This was not what she needed right now. Parnell frowned when he saw she'd been crying.
"Liv? Is everything alright?"
Olivia sniffed and nodded. "I'm fine. I'm just going home to rest. Doctors orders." She walked around Parnell and started down the hall. Parnell on heels.
"I'll take you home. I was leaving early myself."
"That won't be necessary. I can walk. I could use the fresh air." Parnell stopped walking and Olivia silently thanked him.
Finally out of the hospital, Olivia lifted her head towards the sky and thanked the heavens for no rain and the beautiful weather. The promise of summer hanging in the air. She started down the road and began to think. She needed to pack but she couldn't pack everything. What would she take? Was Jamie packing? Did figure out where they would go? She needed to see him.
Arriving at the boardinghouse, Olivia walked up the porch steps and turned when she heard the sound of horn coming from the trees. Looking around she didn't see anyone and so she went in search of the source of the sound. Walking into the she followed the sound as it got louder until she came upon Jamie's truck. He stopped beeping the horn and climbed out of the truck.
"Jamie!" Olivia went to run to him but stopped when she saw the look on his face. Had he been crying?
"Jamie?" She said softly as she walked up to him. She could see his eyes were reddened and puffy. He'd been crying.
"What is it?"
"Olivia...I don't know how to tell you this." Olivia searched his face. Her heartbeat quickened and she thought it'd burst out of her chest. Was he ditching her? Was he giving up and telling her he'd change his mind? She couldn't endure the rumors alone.
"Jamie, what is it?"
Jamie blew a breath and went to speak when someone called Olivia's name. They turned and Olivia's eyes widened when she saw Parnell approaching them. His hard gaze glued to Jamie.
"Parnell?"
"Liv? Are you alright? Who is this man?" Parnell asked looking back at Jamie.
"Parnell what are you doing here?"
"I followed you to make sure you were alright after you left. Who is this?"
Olivia looked between both Jamie and Parnell both men stating the other down.
"Parnell please, now is not the time."
"I can come back Liv." Jamie said.
"No. I want you to tell me what's wrong. Parnell, please leave."
"Not until you tell me what the hell is going on. Is this why you wouldn't go out with me? Why you avoided my advances? You were too busy being the white man's whore!" At that, Jamie charged at him, his fist connecting to Parnell's jaw. The man stumbled back but didn't fall and when collected his self he swung back at Jamie and the two men began to fight in earnest.
Olivia called Jamie's name pleading for him to stop but he didn't hear her. She did the same with Parnell but the men were too engrossed. Jamie punched Parnell and Parnell returned with one of his own. Olivia approached them pleading for them to stop. Tears fell down her face as she continued to yell. She was sure everyone at the boardinghouse could hear them.
Jamie punched Parnell again and he fell down, Jamie moved to sit on top of him and went to punch him once more when the sound of Olivia's voice brought him out of his rage. He looked down and saw the bloodied man looking up at him. Shocked, he backed up and stumbled away. Olivia went to Parnell but he shrugged her off, struggling to stand to his feet he turned to her.
"He's going to ruin you." With that, Parnell turned and stumbled away, wiping away the blood from his nose and mouth. Olivia turned to see Jamie leaning against the truck, holding his side. She rushed to him.
"Are you ok? Is it your rib?"
"No. I'm fine." He waved her off and wiped the blood from his mouth.
"Jamie this is insane. Your brother is one thing but Parnell will spread this like wildfire. We have to leave today!"
"We can't!"
"Why not? Do you want to fight off everyone who slights me?"
"I will if I have to but that's not what I mean. Liv...I've been drafted."
Olivia felt as if the air in her lungs had been knocked out of her. She felt the blood in her veins go cold and she felt faint. Everything began to spin and suddenly all she could see was blackness.