9. We are family

9. We are family

All the kids receive visits from their parents very often, but every once in a while the hospital organizes a "Family Day" in which big families are allowed to visit their sick children and bring gifts and donations for kids in need. Today is family day and all the gang with their families are reuniting at the lounge to eat lunch and spend the evening together.

"Is your family coming, Av?" Kevin asked his roommate as they had breakfast.

"My sister is. My parents...I'm not sure," Avi answered. "I just hope they'll be here just one day to spend it together and catch up. The only time they are here is when I have a bad day, just like last time," he continued angrily.

"Hey, I know it hurts that they are never here, but you've got Esther, you text her all the time and she visits you every chance she has. And remember, I am here if you need to talk about anything," Kevin said softly, smiling at Avi. He has met Avi's parents before and they are pretty egocentric just because they have good jobs with high-paid salaries. But they are never here when Avi needs them the most, the closest family he has is the gang and his sister Esther.

"Thanks, Kev," Avi said, hugging Kevin.

When the evening came, the gang met at the lounge that was already decorated by their parents. All six teenagers entered the room and were surprised to see the lounge decorated with pictures of them as babies and food.

"WOW!" Matt said excitedly as he went to his family and hugged them.

"I love this," Mitch said and hugged his parents.

"Thank you, Mom," Kirstie said and went to her mom.

Avi smiled as soon as he saw his sister Esther and ran to her hugging her tightly and tearing up a bit. "You're here!" he said excitedly. He doesn't get to see Esther often because she is at college and can't visit him often, but they call each other all the time. "Of course, lil' bro. I miss you all the time," Esther said and they hugged even more.

All the gang and their families got together and started eating together, they shared memories about when they were little, and everyone was laughing and smiling until Avi received a call from his parents.

"Hello?" he said coldly.

"Hey son, I just wanted to ask if you have everything you need there, just in case we have to buy something extra," his dad said and Avi got angry.

"You are seriously asking me what I need?"

"Well...yes. You gotta need something extra there."

"You can't be serious."

"I don't understand. Do you need anything or not?"

"You know what I need. I need you guys! You are never here and when I need you the most, you always say you are busy. The only times you appear are when I end up in the ICU because of how sick I am."

"I'm sorry but you know that we are very busy and we cannot be there all the time."

"I just need you here with me more often. It's Family Day here and you didn't even bother to appear. You know how much it hurts to see your friends being happy with their families while you just sit there?" His dad was silent. Then Avi heard the line cut and he groaned, he hated his parents. He didn't notice Scott being there and when he turned he was surprised to see the tall teen there.

"How much did you hear?" He asked nervously.

"Enough to know you are very upset, and you have every right to be," Scott said seriously.

"I just-" Avi fell into Scott's arms and he just hugged him tightly. Once Avi had calmed down he talked again.

"I wish they didn't care so much about their jobs and their reputation."

"It sucks, yeah, but you don't need people like that in your life," Scott said.

"But they're my parents, they are supposed to love me and care for me considering I live in a hospital."

"I know, but we are your family too. Friends are the family you choose and consider as your own. You care about it just as much. Plus, Esther is here, your sister is your everything and you shouldn't take all her calls and texts for granted. She cares about you even more than your parents do."

"You are right. Thank you, Scott."

"How about we go back, we are going to play some games now."

"I'd love that"

Once they got back, Avi spent all his time talking to Esther and catching up with her. Telling her all the things that have happened since the last time she visited.

"You know what I have noticed," Mitch started after a while.

"What Mitchy?" Kevin asked.

"That we are in some way a family," he answered with a smile.

"Yeah, Avi and Kevin are like our dads. Not only because they are older, but they are always looking after us and I love that," Kirstie said.

"Yes, and Scott is the older brother, he protects his siblings and his family with everything he has," Mitch said and Scott smiled.

"Kirstie and Mitch are like twins. They are only two months apart so they are the mischievous twins who are always mocking the other siblings," Scott said chuckling.

"And Matt is the baby, the newest member and the spoiled one, everyone is always protecting him, and his energetic personality fits him perfectly," Kevin said and they all hugged.

"We are family," Avi said. Afterward, their parents took a picture of all six of them sitting down on the couch and smiling.