Chapter 23 - Maynard

The noon hung low with dark clouds covering the sky. Another storm, Maynard thought, developing inside the womb of the Heavens. The Lord Sun was hidden behind them and cold winds came blowing like the heavy breathing of a woman in labor.

"The winterstorms gathers, Brother." Maine said as she watched through  the window of their large motor coach wagon.

" 'Cold winds and cold tidings' they say, Sister." Maynard replied. It was only the two of them inside the motor coach. "What could be the tidings this time?"

"We bring the cold tidings, Brother. You're message of peace with Aurora is as cold as it is."

Maynard made a face that shows he agrees. The message of peace with the Iceborns could be received so warmly by the people or be received with cold indignation. Aurora was outside, riding a speeding horse along the river bank. Blessed are the feet that deliver good news, he remembered the holy words, yet it might be hooves for this situation.

They had left the Harvesther's territory late morning after they had announced it to Lord Harold. He bid them farewell and sent them off with a few men to ward them. There was Lance with his long black greasy hair resting on his shoulders, that was Maine's paramour; there's this Sweet Asher with his long brown hair whom Aurora told is great with sword—how does she know that? And what makes him sweet? Perhaps that smile, Maynard concluded; and there's this bald Scythe soldier who does not speak, so Maynard did not get his name.

Bald Scythe, he named him. He reminds him of Captain Symoun Scythe and all the good men Maynard led to their deaths. Allan, his butler; the triplets; Sir Godwyn the blue steel; Sir Garigus the Old and Sir Garigus the Young; and this Sir Leonard Scythe who defended him to his very last. Many more have died whom Maynard did not know personally. If only he didn't go to the Mountains, they would still live to this day, yet if he didn't go to the Mountains, he wouldn't reach the Temple and Aurora would not have told him about the peace. A terrible price for knowledge, he concluded.

Cold winds and cold tidings indeed. They were heading to the Growth's territory only to tell all these things. How would he even tell it to the Lady Grenda who stood so opposed into going to the Mountains in the first place? However it may be, Maynard is never ready. Aunt Grenda would eat him alive if he tells these things. He took a host of 30 men on horseback and returned with only one. And Aurora wasn't even suppose to be there, so she didn't count.

"I fear to return home, Sister." Maynard told her, "I could not stand there and tell Aunt that those men who came with me are now dead."

"Have courage, Brother." She said. "That's your burden as the Lord."

I don't want to be Lord, he wanted to say yet he held his tongue. "She forbade me to go to the Mountains and I went anyway. She will never forgive me."

"Maybe she wont." Maine laughed. "It makes no matter, Brother. You are her blood and you are her liege besides. Aunt will do nothing to you."

"Naught indeed." Maynard said, "She will not forgive me, not talk to me, and not heed me no more."

"Aunt Grenda may be firm as a boulder, but she'll come to understand."

"It'll take years!" He complained, half a moan and half a cry. "Do you know how he treats Martin back home?"

"I heard he lives well and good at the Farm."

"Good? Aunt Grenda doesn't even speak to him. Her own son. Martin had grown rude and obnoxious over the years because of that."

"Maybe if you had killed someone with your own hands, then she'd do the same. As far as I know, those men you lost died by the Mountain Clansmen."

"The Mountain Clansmen to whom I've delivered them." He explained, "Martin killed only one man, Cheif George Armstrong, and I killed thirty men, both Growth men and Scythe men alike."