Chapter 15 - Maynard

On the lonely top of the ancient temple, beneath the blue moonlight and the starry skies, Maynard's gaze locked onto Aurora. The night air was cool and crisp, and the silence that followed her revelation was deafening. He had always thought he knew her well, but Aurora's words hung in the air like a heavy secret.

"I'm an Iceborn." she said.

Her words hit him like the thunder of the recent rain, and Maynard staggered back, his eyes widening with disbelief. His people had long been in conflict with the Iceborns of Coldlands, a rival race that possessed savagery, prowess in combat, and mastery of the sea. The enmity between Iceborns and Vistaris is wider than the Valladon Ocean and its history deeper.

"An Iceborn? H—how?"

"I came here to meet your Father." She said.

"Iceborn..." He continued saying "Those savages caused too much trouble and death at our lands and seas, and... you're one of them?"

"What?" She said in a voice that sounded broken "Only because you took the seas that is rightfully ours."

"That doesn't justify the murders and raids that you do, Aurora!" He said "You should know that."

Aurora sighed "That is why I came here." Her watery eyes reflected the moonlight "To bring"

"The recent raid," Maynard interrupted, "You were here during that brutal massacre, weren't you? You came, seeking refuge in my wagon, with the intent to end my life. Is that it??"

"No!" She cried "I didn't even know who you are."

"But you knew my Father." He retorted sharply. "One night you asked me to meet my old man, and you did not tell me why. I've always wondered, and now it's clear."

"You mean I planned to kill your father? Is that what you're trying to say?"

"You could be," Maynard's words were swift, even shocking to himself "an assassin sent by your people to infiltrate and kill our very head of state. Your prowess in combat, your near-fatal encounter with Axel, the slaughter of the Mountain Clansmen—a feat my soldiers could never achieve—"

"I did that to save you, you giant's arse!" 

"You're remarkably skilled, Aurora." He pondered, his tone softened by contemplation. "It never occurred to me that you must be of different origin. An orphaned girl? How clever are you and how blind I was!"

"What are you talking about?" Her beautiful face streamed down tears "I came here to make peace. I only hid my identity because I know you were hostile to my kind!"

"Peace? From an Iceborn? You expect me to believe your people sent you to broker a peace between our nations?" He chuckled.

"No! It's more complicated than that!"

"Then what is it?"

"I came on my own. I decided to go because I'm tired of the chaos and death it had caused our lands!"

"And you expect me to believe that?"

"Yes! I told you 'You wouldn't understand' but you insisted saying 'Try me' Where is that understanding now? After all we've gone through together, you still do not believe me?"

Maynard reflected and came to realize what she said was true. They trodden the steely blades of these Mountains and found its ancient temple together. Though his heart refuse to accept.

"It must be a false persona you play here. You knew I was the son of the Lord Supreme so you came here to gain my trust!"

"What? You know that's a load of Bisonshit! When I first met you, you told me you are Mark! Why would I fake my persona to a random orphan boy named Mark?"