Chapter 25 - Maynard

The Growth's fleet of merchant ships are not suited for naval combat, and it groaned when Maynard went aboard. The deck was fairly wide, capable of storing farm harvests to be sold all across Vistarion, yet it cannot carry men into battle. Maynard sighed, pacing around the boat as he waited.

The gathering last night with Old Lord Wilbur Weath was all Maynard had dreaded. He could scarcely recall most of it, for his mind was consumed with the Iceborn betrayal. I trusted you! he thought, why did your people kill her?! The tidings of yesterday shattered him, and he found himself loathing even Owen Ellsworth for bearing the news, though he knew in his heart that the Mayor was but the messenger. He now thirsts for retribution, a payment soaked in blood.

Lord Wilbur's son, Lord Doncel Weath led the battleplanning. He was several years older than Maynard and he brought up valid points. The planning took all night and Maynard is now half asleep this morning waiting for Lord Vathe to come.

"The Iceborn have taken strongholds at your northern coasts," He remembered when the news was brought to him. Lord Doncel was a young man, yet he speaks with the voice of an adult. "Lord Philip assumed the command in defending your frontlines until the Iceborns broke through their defenses and cut our host in two. Lord Philip has now taken refuge at Stonecreek and the other half was driven to the eastern coast, now led by your uncle Joseph."

"What does Joseph know about military?" He had said bitterly, "He should've left the command to those who have experience. And how did Lord Philip lost?? My Lord Father had instructed Lord Philip of protecting the coast, and he can't even do that."

"Some say because the battle was fought on land, and Lord Philip is only skilled on naval combat. My Lord, as one of your Lords in Old Icestones, I feel obliged to do my part in protecting my home region." Lord Doncel said, "Lord Philip had raised his banners for reinforcements, and his fleet sailed it's way into your coast when the Sun was high. They passed in our territory by midday. We need to join, my Lord. We can't stay under the generosity of Lord Philip, we have to defend our own region."

Maynard agreed with Doncel that night, and after a few rounds of agreement and disagreement with several military forces, a debate ensued. Some argued that they should march to Stonecreek at once to aid Lord Philip and drive the Iceborns out. Others believed that they should cruise north to surprise the Iceborns from the rear. Still, some advised they should wait for more forces and end it all at once in a single decisive battle.

As the night burned out, they sent riders bearing instructions of the decided course of action: Lady Maine, with Captain Nigel Scythe, would lead 5,000 men, marching west to meet with Lord Harold's host to aid the battle fought on land. They had marched out that morning. Lord Maynard and Lord Doncel awaited at the small port of Old Icestones for the arrival of Lord Sebastian Vathe, to join the three great Houses—Growth, Thailor, and Vathe—to slay the Iceborns from the rear.

"Any moment now, my Lord." Lord Doncel told him as he walked the merchant ship. The ship swayed at every move, threatening to capsize.

"Too slow, what if we arrive too late?" He asked.

"A battle don't last shortly, my Lord. Any aid Lord Sebastian might bring can turn the tide of war. After a battle is over, there is always the next."

Maynard sighed, looking over the horizon of the Elinth Sea. The northern sea of Vistarion had swallowed too many men and is drunk with the blood of warriors. Vistaris and Iceborns have been fighting on this sea since the establishment of Vistarion under King Ivaun, and now Maynard will have a taste of it himself. Lord Sun, watch over us, he prayed as the sun's light glinted off the waves.

Upon the distant shores, Maynard could see 2500 men filling the coastal cliff that surrounds the port. Makeshift camps were erected upon those cliffs and smokes were rising from fires as men shouted orders to each other. The old unused longships of Old Icestones are floating near the port as well, waiting to be filled with men. They were used last time when his Lord Father raised an army to attack the Iceborns on their own lands, bringing the wrath of Vistarion upon frozen soil.