Vivian - Chapter 17

After spending some time with her mechanical boyfriend, which didn't take much time at all with how turned on kissing Burke had made her, Vivian slept like a log and only grumbled a little bit when Pax woke her up to be let out the next morning.

She had replayed the events of the previous evening over and over until she had fallen asleep, exhausted from everything that had happened that day. But one thing was clear. Burke was a good man.

***

"Are you sure you are doing alright out there? A woman alone with two kids in the middle of nowhere?" Steve had been Vivians client since before she had moved, and while she did her best to keep her personal and professional lives separate, she had given her clients just enough information so that when she went silent for a couple weeks, they didn't freak out. Most of them had been understanding and had given her space. In return, her office had been one of the first spaces set up after the move. But even before her husband's death, Steve had been a touch too concerned about her personal life.

"Steve, thank you for your concern, but I am doing just fine. So, unless you want to talk about something regarding your books, I do have other clients I need to talk to today." Vivian tried to keep the impatience out of her voice and was glad that she apparently succeeded, but barely suppressed a groan of annoyance at his next sentence.

"Well, now that you mention it, I have a few things I would like to go over in person with you. Some documents that I feel need a closer look." His tone was a bit too forced for him to have just thought about something needing her eyes on it, but just in case she was reading into things wrong, Vivian didn't call him out on it.

Sighing, Vivian pasted on a smile even though Steve couldn't see it. "If there is something you feel needs my eyes on it immediately, then you can scan it in and email it over. Or you can go into my old office to talk to my previous boss. We have an agreement that if a client needs to discuss something in person, he is willing to make that time. We could also set up a video meeting through Skype or Zoom."

"Well, I was going to be in your area anyway, I fly into Bozeman on Friday.  How about we meet and discuss the documents over lunch on Saturday?"  Steve was one of her best clients, and Vivian wanted to keep him happy, but this was beginning to concern her as a wave of trepidation danced up her spine.

"That isn't going to work for me.  I live too far away from Bozeman and I have plans this weekend.  I hope you don't waste a trip trying to come see me.  And I suggest you look over our contract again, especially the paragraph that states I am not available for in person meetings unless it is under extenuating circumstances."  Vivian tried to keep her tone cool and professional, but it took more than a few deep breaths.

"Is there someone else?  Did you already fine someone new?"  Vivian gasped at the sudden shift in attitude. The cold and biting tone morphed her trepidation into full-fledged concern and a little bit of fear.

"Steve.  That is none of your business.  If you keep insisting on talking to me like this, I am going to have to fire you as a client.  I will finish out this month as you have already paid for it, but then I am done."  She was proud that her voice sounded sure and distant as she slipped easily into her more severe professional persona.  Standing at her full height as she stared out the window, she refused to let him bully her.

"Fucking bitch, leading me on for months.  I will be flying in on Friday, and I will be seeing you on Saturday.  But how about I come to your house instead.  Teach you how to talk to a man.  It's the least you can do after the way you led me on."  He snarled through the phone, and Vivian imagined spittle flying from his mouth.

"Steve, threatening your bookkeeper has got to be one of the stupidest things that you have done, and that is saying something because I have seen how you have spent some of your money." She sighed, suddenly bone tired and wanting a nap.  "This is a small town, and people who live in small towns look out for one another.  As soon as I say anything about a client threatening me, you had better believe your welcome here will be at the business end of a shotgun.  So, I suggest you take your wounded pride elsewhere.  You aren't getting any sympathy from me because despite what you are accusing me of, I have never ever led you on.  It was never my intention to indicate that I might be interested in any kind of relationship with you outside of being your bookkeeper.  That being said, you have left me no choice but to fire you as a client."

Hanging up before Steve could say anything further, Vivian hoped that he got the message as she slumped into her office chair.  She also hoped that he didn't realize that she was seriously bluffing.  Sure, she could count on Burke as a friend, but who else did she really know?  Hunter seemed decent, but he had been helping Burke out more than he had been helping her.  Living so far out and working from home meant that she didn't really have the chance to make any girlfriends, which hadn't been an issue up until now.

Starting at the sound of her doorbell, Vivian jumped up and cursed when she looked out the window and saw the vet truck parked near the barn.  She had completely lost track of time with Steve's phone call.  Rushing down the stairs, she called out that she was coming before reaching the door and wrenching it open.  An older man stood on the porch, his weathered face lined with wrinkles from smiling and laughing. Immediately put at ease by the gentle demeanor he effortlessly exuded, she held out her hand.  "Vivian Preston, you must be the veterinarian."

His handshake was warm and firm, his skin calloused from hard work.  "Yes, ma'am, Doc Whitaker at your service.  Now I understand you have a few mares for me to look at?"

Showing the Doc to the pen where the three mares were happily grazing, she left to grab a lead rope in case he wanted to take them out as he watched them for a few minutes.  Rejoining him on the fence he nodded as he went into professional mode.  "Okay, Vivian, this is what we are going to do..."

***

All things considered, the three mares were in decent shape.  Doc had been pleased that she hadn't fed them grain the night before, choosing just to let the graze down the round pen.  They didn't show any signs of colic, their teeth were in good shape, and none of them showed any signs of injury or infection.  He had guessed that they had been part of a herd owned by an older man who had recently passed, but with so many horses in the area, no one wanted to take them in, and so they were sent to the auction yard.  Estimating their age to be in their early teens, he left Vivian with a nutrition plan for the next few weeks and the number for a farrier he liked.

"Alright ladies," She said to the horses after Doc left, "I think it's time for names, don't you?"  They had all approached her as she leaned against the fence, hoping for treats.  The palomino hung back, slightly more timid than the other two.  The dun pushed her nose right into Vivian's arm, and she laughed as she pet the velvety softness and felt her warm breath on her hand.  They bay eyed her with slightly less suspicion as she had the day before, but was still aloof as she sidled sideways, pushing the palomino out of the way.  Grinning, Vivian knew exactly what to name the trio.

"I guess you three are the Golden Girls, aren't you?  We have sassy Blanche over here pushing on me for attention and treats, strong-willed and astute Dorothy staring me down, and the kind and gentle Rose being pushed back." She gave Blanche one more scratch under the chin before moving closer to Dorothy.  Raising her hand up slowly so the mare could back away if she wanted, Vivian gently touched the bay mare on the cheek, making sure to watch out for any teeth or pinned back ears.  But surprisingly, Dorothy stood still under Vivian's touch, her ears flicking back and forth as she got used to the sensation.  Slowly, Vivian moved her hand up her face and down the mares neck in a gentle stroke.  This one was stubborn but would also need the most care as they all got to know one another.

Looking at her watch, Vivian was surprised to see how late it was.  It was too late to run into town for the supplements Doc had suggested giving the girls, the kids would be home soon, but it was too late to tell them not to get on the bus that dropped them off at the end of the long drive.  Debating her options, Vivian went inside to change her muck boots out for regular shoes before grabbing her keys, phone, and purse.  Tonight would be pizza night in town with the kids after stopping by the feed store.

Me: Pizza night in town with the kids.  Would you like to join us?