- Chapter Two -

Amity felt the tears begin to fall before she reached the bathroom door, making her look down at her feet and rush into the stall. Her teacher had brought up her parents again and failed to notice her stiffness, the way that her smile had dimmed noticeably.

The bathroom walls echoed as the other girls spoke and she froze as she recognized Luz's voice. "You should've seen her, Willow, she was so sad..I mean, of course she makes my life a living hell but I can't help but feel bad for her the tiniest smidge."

She felt her whole body convulse as she sat down on the toilet seat, not caring about the germs. She had noticed, when nobody else had, the girl who she spent her time tormenting had noticed. She felt the flush make it's way to her neck and the painful feel of regret snake it's way across her body.

Willow sighed loudly. "Seriously, Luz, I don't get what you see in that witch."

"I don't see anything! I simply sympathize, Wills."

"I guess," She murmured, not totally convinced. From the crack in the bathroom stall, Amity watched as Willow pulled her hair up into a ponytail. "I just think she needs somebody to teach her that not everybody is rich, famous, and pretty."

She continued to sink further into herself. She didn't want to hear what else the girl's friend had to say. She knew how poorly people thought of her, or well, assumed.

"I know, you're right," Luz sighed, "But I can't help but think what if she just needs like..something in her life? Like some..spice?"

"Don't you dare mess with that poor excuse of a socialite, Luz."

Amity's sob couldn't be contained as she heaved and supported herself against the door. The bathroom door swung open with a bang, she had forgot to latch it properly.

"Oh god."

"Are you alright?"

Both girls spoke at the same time. Amity felt her vision swim as she stared, shook her head and then, without a single explanation, ran out the door.

Luz frowned at Willow. "Now she's even more upset!"

"Sorry." But Willow wasn't sorry at all. It was about time someone showed the girl the same level of respect she used on others.

                                                                                         ............

Many days had passed now and the incident in the bathroom had been long forgotten. Amity crossed her legs as the skirt she sported skidded uncomfortably up, making her grimace and change her position. She hated the way she was forced to dress with the tight clothes and green theme. It was 'on brand' for their family, as their mother liked to remind them. The only form of rebellion she had ever indulged in had been her bright purple hair.

"Ams, look at this!" Squealed one of her blonde-headed friends. "This is uhh-maze-ing!" She pointed to the cover of their weekly school paper. Right on the page was Luz Noceda sitting in class, an angled picture of a drawing taken from another student's perspective.

She stared blankly at the headline. Luz Noceda, Outcast Turned Art Prodigy?

In the paragraphs she skimmed, something caught her eye. We have reason to believe that this might be a ploy to gain Emblem's good graces back but nothing is definite without evidence. Noceda has been going to school at Emblem ever since her move, though there's much to desire from her. She leaves chaos in her wake, leaving many with questions. Who exactly is she? Is she a rebel or is she simply a girl who committed one mistake? It might be time to take a different perspective, Emblem High.

"Who wrote this?" She felt her voice tight and far-away.

Briar smiled wide, playing with her light hair. "Gus! Can you believe it? The geeks are banding together, huh?"

"They always have."

"Okay, know-it-all." Blondie rolled her eyes at Boscha.

Amity breathed in deeply. This would either clear the poor girl or ruin her entirely. Could she let her take the risk? She was never one to help other's and especially not people who had offended her, even when she knew they had a reason to. She was stubborn that way, she supposed.

But what could Luz do for her? She thought silently as she watched the players train on the field. Probably nothing. The thought was futile. She felt herself grimace, she couldn't believe she had just thought that about Fire-girl.

Although the nickname lacked creativity, it had been the best that their thirteen-year-old minds could come up with and very unfortunately for Luz, it had stuck.

On the other side of the field, the seventeen-year-old felt her shoulder's sag. "I don't understand. I told him I didn't want him meddling, Wills."

"I know, honey, but you got to admit that this might get people thinking."

"Or totally destroy me even more!"

Willow chuckled. "Luz, you have never cared about that until this year. What's gotten into you?" She smirked as she adjusted her glasses. "Or should I say, who's gotten into you?"

Luz's cheeks flushed as she shook her head and looked away. "It's nothing. I'm just tired of it, alright?"

"I guess so. Anybody would be."

"Right."

They sat in comfortable silence for a minute until the Latina girl observed a mop of black curls coming toward them. She groaned heavily as she burrowed under Willow's embrace. She had always been affectionate with her friends. "Gus."

"Luz, Willow. I suppose you read my article?" He danced on the balls of his feet as he smiled nervously. Luz could admit that he wasn't bad looking at all. In fact, if he had been just a little more sporty and a little taller, she supposed the girls would be all over him. Yet again, a voice in her head reminded her about reputation and she realized that it wouldn't have mattered. Even now, with his dad's small business in the arts, Gus was barely glanced at by the pretty socialites.

"We did." She answered. "But I told you I didn't want you meddling, Gus."

Guilt flashed over his features before he looked down at his feet. "I'm sorry, Luz. I just..I get tired of how she treats you, of how they treat you."

"I know, buddy. Me too."

He sat himself down on the grass. "Are you mad?"

"No."

"Good." He grinned. "Then I know I made the right choice." And in seconds, he stood up and raced across the field toward his other friends. He wasn't exactly a social outcast by any standards but he wasn't a huge socialite either. Gus kind of flew under the radar, only being noticed when he wanted to be.

"I hope they won't be at the game tomorrow." She voiced.

Willow let her arms come to her side as she pulled them apart. "Tough luck, hon. We all know they don't miss an event."

Together, they stared at the heads of the three girls as they watched the football players. Luz groaned internally.

She was already regretting tomorrow.