- Chapter Twenty-Eight -

Alador's eyes closed in contentment as she mulled over the news again. His little girl was to be married today. He felt his heart swell, swell, swelling with pride as he felt the sense of peace that Odalia had brought with her departure.

He had always been confused, as had his children, as to why she would reappear back in their lives but it wasn't until now, three years later, that he realized she had been a lesson for all of them. A lesson for him on how to be a better father, a lesson for Amity on how she was nothing alike to her and a listen for the twins, that if they followed her lead, they too would have nothing left.

He opened his eyes once again, breathing deeply as he readjusted his tie in the mirror. He had to look perfect today as he walked his daughter down the aisle with Edric. "Dad?"

"In here, mittens!"

She knocked politely on the door before letting herself in. Almost as though she were a child, she felt the warmth, heat, the sense of all consuming love radiating from her father as she threw herself into his arms. "I'm so glad you're walking me down the aisle, dad."

He hugged her back, forcing his tears away. "So am I." He pushed her away in order to admire her beauty. Her makeup was light and accentuated her best features, white dress tight at the top but falling into a mermaid style in ruffles. "You look incredible, Mittens."

"Thank you."

"Edric should be ready soon, you should go help out your sister."

"See you at the venue?" She questioned, palms sweating.

He nodded.

........................

Luz's breath hitched as she watched the orbs of floating light attached to the string, which was almost invisible, giving the palace a magical feel. The lights were dimmed just enough to radiate a coziness in the big space. Flowers of lilac and white decorated different spots in the room. Everything was beautiful— stunning, exquisite.

Just like her bride. "Amity," she breathed, mouth hanging open as her brain came up with a million ways to tangle herself in the other woman, "you look..breath taking."

Eda, from her spot behind her daughter, gave an approving nod. "She's right, kiddo. You look stunning."

"Thank you guys. Where's Mama and King?"

Eda rolled her eyes, "King wouldn't let her put on his ring bearer suit so she's waiting for him to fall asleep. It shouldn't take long, though, that dog naps the whole day."

Luz shook her head fondly. "They will be here on time, don't worry, mi corazon."

"I'm not!" Eda and Luz both raised an eyebrow as Alador and the twins, from their spot next to Amity, all snorted. "Wow, I dislike all of you guys."

Everybody laughed.

From somewhere behind a brush, Odalia felt herself stiffen. Her heart was slowly opening, filling, retracting, releasing. She felt herself sniffle as hot, sticky, salty tears seeped into her lips then mouth.

Stupid, stupid, stupid, cried the creature im her ear, you could've been with them but you just had to be so awful.

Awful.

She felt herself sob, clamping a hand to her mouth almost immediately in great panic. She had been the worst mother, the worst person, she had been..at best, deplorable.

And there was no going back from that but she would try.

Every year, every week, every day, every hour, every minute, every second, she would try to make up for her carcass of a heart.