Chapter 204

Shirou introduced the delicate Guinevere to the knights, and they were taken aback by her striking resemblance to the king, particularly as she was a princess.

Despite her royal status, Guinevere appeared incredibly frail, and one could almost imagine her bursting into tears if anyone stared at her too long. This vulnerability made the knights feel protective of her.

Shirou entrusted Guinevere to Artoria, and the moment she came under Artoria's banner, tears streamed down her face as she clung to Artoria's hand.

Despite telling herself not to try and guess the king's thoughts and to feign ignorance, Guinevere's intelligence allowed her to discern some of his intentions. However, knowing the danger that awaited her, she chose to remain silent.

The mere act of attempting to guess the king's thought could result in Guinevere's execution, with her head displayed for all to see. The thought was enough to send chills down her spine and leave her trembling with fear.

Upon signing the contract, she made a firm commitment to serve Artoria for the rest of her life. She understood that her safety hinged on maintaining a strong bond with Artoria and holding onto her tightly, both figuratively and literally. Thus, she clung tightly to Artoria's thigh, all the while reminding herself to keep quiet and not say anything that could jeopardize her precarious position.

Artoria welcomed Guinevere's closeness, as she had a natural inclination to protect the weak. While Guinevere's plan appeared to be effective, feigning ignorance proved to be a challenge, for a tyrant had already taken notice of her intelligence and had set his sights on her.

For example, now...

Shirou gestured towards the economic paper he had painstakingly crafted at the expense of his already limited time, his eyes fixed on Guinevere with intense stare, "You mean you can't understand any of this?"

She nodded timidly, fear palpable in her expression.

He grabbed her hair and pulled her over.

"Ow ow ow ow ow..." she had tears in her eyes.

His expression remained stern as he spoke, "Finish today's reading and the homework I've assigned. If it doesn't meet my standards, you won't eat today."

"But... but..."

He produced a metallic clink by tapping the sheath of his sword with his finger, "I don't keep useless people."

Despite the discomfort caused by his grip on her hair, Guinevere focused on the task at hand and studied the homework. After answering his questions to the best of her ability, she submitted her work to him with a fearful expression.

He took the answer sheet from Guinevere, and finally released her hair, "That's enough for today. I'll go over your answers tomorrow. You may leave now."

She let out a deep breath, feeling a sense of relief wash over her. She fought back tears as she hurriedly left the palace, grateful to have escaped the tense and oppressive atmosphere.

...

Shirou let out a weary sigh as he settled back into his throne and resumed reading through the paperwork before him. Despite having spent two years training countless people on how to manage various matters, new issues seemed to arise constantly, leaving no end in sight.

As he sat on his throne, he shifted uncomfortably and became aware of the discomfort in his sciatic nerve from prolonged sitting. He felt fortunate to have access to the black mud which would help alleviate his pain. Otherwise, his back would not be able to withstand the strain of his responsibilities.