Chapter 296

The cold blade sliced through the night sky, aimed straight at Shirou's face.

His expression remained stoic as the black muds surged with a crackling sound, swiftly forming a wall that effortlessly intercepted the blade.

The dreadful curse took hold, causing the blade to corrode and shatter upon contact with the muds.

In the blink of an eye—

A black fist burst forth from the mud wall, poised to strike the assailant. Yet, in a crimson flash, the attacker had already retreated to a safe distance.

Frowning, Shirou decided against pursuing the enemy. Just then, Sakura arrived through the imaginary passage and stepped into the space, her face mirroring his astonishment, "Where... Where are we?"

Shirou surveyed their surroundings and couldn't help but reveal a look of surprise.

Before him stretched an expansive crimson wasteland, a desolate expanse that seemed to stretch on indefinitely. The ground beneath his feet was cracked and barren, devoid of any signs of life. Strewn across the scorched earth were countless swords, a vast sea of gleaming metal.

In the distance, the flames danced on the far-off horizon, their fiery tongues licking at the colorless sky. The crackling inferno cast an eerie glow, painting the landscape in shades of orange and red, intensifying the ominous atmosphere that hung heavily in the air.

Above, the sky were veiled in obscurity, a symphony of spinning gears. Massive cogs and mechanisms churned and turned, their metallic groans echoing through the desolation.

This world was intimately familiar to him.

In fact, he knew it all too well, having used it during the Fourth Holy Grail War.

Its name was...

"Unlimited Blade Works..."

A silver light flickered across the distant sky.

"Swoosh, swoosh, swoosh—"

A barrage of swords soared through the air, hurtling towards Shirou from a distance.

In a swift motion, the black muds surged, morphing into a colossal black hand that intercepted every blade, capturing them within its grasp.

Sizzle, sizzle, sizzle!

The curse of the muds took hold, reducing the blades to mere fragments.

"Buzz, buzz, buzz—!"

Responding to an unseen force, the surrounding swords stirred to life. Like shooting stars, they launched a relentless assault, homing in on Shirou and Sakura from all directions.

Useless!

Shirou maintained a composed expression as the roiling black muds coalesced into a colossal sphere, resembling a protective shield that encased both Shirou and Sakura.

"Clang, clang!!"

The swords descended upon the muds, generating resounding clashes of metal. Yet, in the blink of an eye, they were disintegrated by the powerful curse of the muds.

However—

Driven by a mysterious force, the magical energy imbued within these swords began to detonate.

"Boom, rumble, rumble, rumble, rumble, rumble—!!!"

A succession of explosions erupted.

Despite being surrounded by the pitch-black mud, glimpses of dazzling fireworks could still be seen.