Chapter 272

Shirou started tying up loose ends, knowing that once he left, the military's strength would undoubtedly take a significant hit.

The innate skills he had bestowed upon them would surely fade away, and the projected holy swords and Gae Bolgs would gradually vanish too.

But such changes were to be expected. In the wars to come, the battles wouldn't pit humans against supernatural beings, but rather humans against one another.

To tackle this situation, Shirou had begun preparing six years ago, taking proactive measures.

He developed the Steel Reinforcement technique, which significantly boosted steel production and led to the creation of iron weapons. During their training, he ensured that Gawain and others consciously practiced using iron and bronze weapons instead of relying solely on Gae Bolg and holy swords. Their adaptability had been honed over time.

As a result, once he departs, there will undoubtedly be a significant reduction in military strength. The army won't consist solely of heroes anymore, but the soldiers of the Camelot dynasty will still be a formidable force.

Having grown up amidst the ongoing struggle between humans and supernatural beings, their circumstances differ greatly from those of a regular human army.

Shirou started addressing internal threats methodically, but he was aware that eliminating them entirely was an impossible task.

Time was running short for him, and he understood that all he could do was alleviate the situation and devise a strategic governance plan to be passed on to his successor, Morgan.

The hope was that as long as Morgan didn't mishandle things and the dynasty didn't face unforeseen catastrophes like a meteor falling from the sky and causing chaos by taking out the successor, they would be able to maintain stability after Shirou's departure.

Furthermore, he did something incredibly cruel.

He started to put an end to the Age of Gods!

As Shirou strolled through the lively streets of Camelot, observing the cheerful crowds that warmly greeted him, his heart ached.

It was a painful realization that the Age of Gods needed to reach its conclusion, lest there be occasional criminals like Vortigern who sought to reverse the course of history.

The process of hybrid transformation was already in motion. From a racial standpoint, the Britons had moved away from being purely creatures of the Age of Gods, heralding a new era.

Nevertheless, this shift also meant that the current generation had been left behind.

They had been ruthlessly forsaken by the era they held in high regard and the king they revered, all with their own hands.

The gleaming Tower of Light in the palace symbolizes a beacon of hope. However, in truth, it represents the light of destruction that shatters the old era.

Unbeknownst to anyone, the Tower of Light was gathering and dispersing the True Ether.

In the midst of all the chaos and ignorance, this generation will gradually grow older and eventually perish, making way for the next generation.

Within a maximum of thirty years, this cycle will reach its culmination, leading to the complete depletion of the True Ether from the world and marking the end of the Age of Gods.

In addition, this implies that the king they held in high regard has forsaken them.

This was the cruelest and most terrifying realization.

For this reason, he chose not to disclose this information to Morgan. He confided only in Merlin, his trusted advisor.

He asked Merlin to oversee this matter and eventually lay to rest the holy lance Rhongomyniad.