Brotherly Bond (Part 2)

It was the summer of 2012. School was out for the time-being so Jimera and Ciro decided to visit the neighborhood park.

The two brothers sat at a table underneath some shade. Children were playing all over the playground while parents relaxed on the benches and connect with love ones.

"Don't you want to play with the other kids?" Jimera asked Ciro, he was eating some ice cream he got from a passing ice cream truck.

"Nuh uh," Ciro said almost like a pout.

Ciro gets nervous around kids that are the same age as him, it's almost as if he's afraid of them.

The park was beside an elementary school and next to some train tracks. The park was home to several playground accessories like slides and play tunnels, while having benches and tables for those who want to have a barbecue with the family.

The scenery was complimented by the hill with train tracks that were about a football field away. The hill was beautiful during the evening since it commended the sunset that falls behind it, shining a golden shadow over the playground.

"They're loud," Ciro stated, "Why can't they play without screaming?"

Due to the trauma he grew up with, Ciro became extremely sensitive to the loud noises around him. Because of this, Jimera gave him permission to take his iPod with him when he goes to school or other places-as long as he doesn't get in trouble with it.

"It is annoying to listen to kids scream constantly," Jimera agreed, "But that doesn't mean they can't be excited when they play."

Kids all around played different sports with other groups of kids, with some playing soccer while others play football.

Ciro sat beside Jimera on one side of the table, quietly eating his chocolate ice cream. Every now and then he would flinch at the sound of the noises made by the kids.

"Some say the train leads to a house," A voice said behind them.

The voice startled both Ciro and Jimera, with Ciro almost dropping his ice cream.

"Merde!" Jimera yelled as he spun around.

A girl stood behind them. She couldn't be any older than Jimera and was slightly shorter than him.

The girl giggled, "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. I just didn't know how to start a conversation with y'all."

Ciro grumbled as he took another bite of his ice cream.

"Not like that," He said with a mouthful of ice cream.

Jimera, ignoring his brother began to ask,"What do you mean the tracks lead to a house?"

Ciro focused on his ice cream and less on the girl. He couldn't be bothered with a girl who doesn't have any social skills. Rich coming from him.

"They say if you ride the train around midnight, you'll be taken to a house run by the dead," The girl explained as she pointed towards the tracks.

"Dead?" Ciro asked with a sign of fear, "like zombies?"

The girl was amused by the young child. His innocence was adorable to her and she didn't want to scare him.

"Not like zombies, more like walking skeletons who passed away. They say that the house is a gateway from this world to the land above, but you have to be transported to the house first," The girl explained in details.

Jimera never met or even seen this girl but he was intrigued by her. He lived in Texas all his life but never heard of this folklore before. Even if it was a town myth, surely he would've heard of it by now.

"How do they pass?" Jimera questioned.

The girl shrugged.

"Apparently the dead likes to party in the house to celebrate their next life above," The girl sat down on the opposite side of the table.

"The name's Ximena, nice to meet you," the girl held out her hand.

Jimera shook her hand as Ciro was finishing up his ice cream cone.

"Jimera," He motioned to his brother, "This is Ciroton. Call him Ciro though."

Ximena smiled at the boy. Her expression gave off warmth, almost like she's telling them that she's not there to harm.

"Ciro's a pretty unique name. Never heard it before here in Texas," She said as she glanced at Ciro suck on his fingers.

"Do you know why the dead party in the house?" Jimera asked.

"There's a rumor that if the dead party for seven days straight, a light will appear in the living room. If they walk into the light they get to go to heaven after that. If they don't, they have to party for another seven days."

"That's dumb," Ciro commented.

Ximena laughed at Ciro's remark.

"He's so adorable," Ximena complimented.

The sun started to hang low, slowly making it's way behind the hill. It was getting late.

"Any reason why you're here?" Jimera asked.

Ximena poked her thumb out and pointed behind her. A group of parents and kids were gathered around the playground.

"I'm here for my niece's birthday. She wanted a cookout here and I was forced to come," She answered.

"My birthday is in 3 months," Ciro told her.

Ximena smiled fondly at the young Ciro. She never seen a child like him before. Quiet yet not afraid to say his opinion on something. Ximena has been so used to being around loud children that it's a first to see someone so collected.

"When's your birthday?" She asked as she leaned forward to hear Ciro's answer.

"Halloween,"

The children were playing a game of tag on the playground, a group of 3 people who try to catch the rest as the others run away. Such a simple game can bring out a lot of emotions, like excitement or fear.

"It's nice talking to you Ximena, but it's time for us to go," Jimera said politely. He didn't want to hurt her feelings and tried to lay it down gently.

"Yeah I got you, don't want you guys stay when you don't want to," Ximena said as she slid a folded napkin across the table, "Take this though."

Jimera carefully took the napkin from her, expecting it to explode or hurt him in some way.

"Come on Ciro," Jimera tugged on Ciro's arm and made their way back home.

Since Jimera didn't have a car at the time, they had to walk from the park to their house. Which isn't a problem, Ciro didn't mind it as long as he was by Jimera side.

"What's on the napkin?" Ciro naively asked.

Jimera unfolded the napkin to find a bunch of numbers on it.

"Her phone number," Jimera thought to himself.

He stuffed the napkin in his pocket.

"Something," Jimera said as he held Ciro's hand.

It was something indeed.