Droplets in the Morning

"I see the tests are going well," Dr. Winford said, "A few more days and you'll be able to leave from our care, Mr. Yuīnga."

"Thank you, Doctor," Hendrix smiled faintly, a few more days and he'll be able to leave this place.

Early in the morning, Hendrix is tired from all of the constant testing. He's grateful that his parents are requesting for the best treatments possible, but Hendrix just wishes that he could have one day to himself.

"Would you mind if I ask you a question, Mr. Yuīnga?" Dr. Winford gave a hint of worry in his voice.

"What is it?"

"Your parents," Dr. Winford said, "They haven't paid you a visit since you came into our care, is everything okay?"

Hendrix could feel his body become uncomfortable. He never spoke about his parent to anyone, nor is it one of his favorite things to talk about. It has always been a touchy subject to the poor boy.

"Yes."

"I know it's none of our business to know, but I never treated anyone who was never visited by his parents," Dr. Winford commented, "Including children."

They're always busy people. Running their company and paying the bills. Hendrix knows that they won't visit while they have a business to take care of.

"They're busy," Hendrix answered, "Always in meetings and stuff."

Dr. Winford gave off the impression of a grandfather. The kind that would make chocolate chip pancakes in the morning or play board games with you. There was this feeling that fluttered around him, something that Hendrix can't put his finger on it.

"Alright then," Dr. Winford's eyebrows twitched, "It is nice that you had friends visit you, I'm sure they'll return soon."

"Hopefully," Hendrix's mind wondered off.

Dr. Winford looked through the cabinets across from Hendrix, looking for something that could be found in there.

"Hendrix boy," Dr. Winford spoke, "You're going to be okay."

"I'm sorry?"

"I could tell you have a lot on your mind," The head doctor continued, "It's not easy being in your shoes, that I'm sure of.

"But I can tell you here that you have people who love you. They seem to be such amazing people who truly care about you, you don't just find those people on the street."

Hendrix is happy that Aria and the others paid him a visit, but he can't shake off the feeling of loneliness. The same feeling that greeted him when he first woke up in this room.

"I'm lucky to have them," Hendrix said.

"You really are," Dr. Winford let out a soft chuckle, "It's been a while since I last saw my dear friends. The friends I would laugh and smile with."

The feeling of sadness could be found in Dr. Winford's voice. Almost like he was close to choking on his own words.

"What happened to them?"

"Time caught up to them," Dr. Winford closed the cabinet doors, "Some due to accidents, while others through natural causes.

"But I still cherish those memories well, even if I've forgotten most of them. It's the least I can do at my old age."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

Dr. Winford had a soft expression on his face. The wrinkles on his cheeks could give stories by themselves, as his eyes told different stories. The man lived on this planet a lot longer than Hendrix, experiencing all kinds of things. And here's Hendrix, sad that his parents couldn't pay him a visit.

"Don't be," The doctor smiled, "Everyone I've loved may be gone, but I can make sure to live my life to the fullest while I'm here. And you should too.

"Cherish the people in your life, Hendrix. I promise you would enjoy life a lot more if you do."

"I'll try to sir."

A knock at the door interrupted the conversation.

"Yes?" Dr. Winford answered.

The door to the hospital room opened, a nurse made an appearance in the opening.

"Dr. Winford, may I speak to you for a moment?"

The nurse was a younger male, someone who wasn't even half the age of Dr. Winford.

"Of course," Dr. Winford gave a polite nod to Hendrix and left the room.

The doctor and nurse stood in the empty hallway, no worker was around to hear the conversation.

"The pills are gone."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

Dr. Winford let out a sign, "I told Lucas that it was a bad idea to import them through the woods. Look at what happened."

"I know Doctor. But the good news is that we have a lead on somebody."

"Which is?"

"Jeremiah Hanes. A student at Mirabeau B. High School."

"What about the student?"

"We have information that leads to the boy and his friends taking the pills. On top of that, we also believe another student had something to do with the disappearance of the pills."

"Explain."

"Another student named Ciroton Pierce. We believe that he lit the pills and the evidence on fire. A theory we have is because he wanted to get rid of the medicine."

Ciroton Pierce.

"Ciroton Pierce. But you can call me Ciro."

Ciro. The boy that Dr. Winford shared a moment with. And here he thought the kid was one of the nice ones, even if he had a few minutes with the boy.

"Is there anything left of the pills or container?"

"No, doctor. Only ashes were left behind."

"This isn't good."

"We know. But we can crack down on finding these Jeremiah and Ciroton people and get rid of them."

"Don't rush. We don't want to make any mistakes with these two."

"Not to worry, more of the '56-92 XVt418's are being produced as we speak. As for the boys, we already have the whereabouts of Ciroton Pierce. We're still trying to find Jeremiah."

"You don't have to call the pills by their full names. The 'XV Pills' is good enough."

"Yes, Doctor."

"Such a mouthful. '56-92 XVt418'. Who comes up with that."

"Lucas, sir."

"As expected. The boy really needs to simplify his names."

"I know, Doctor."

"Any who, keep me updated on the boys. I want to hear any new information immediately."

"What are we going to do with Jeremiah? We're almost positive that the boy and his friends have special powers because of the XV Pills."

"Focus on finding that child. I'll have Lucas clean up that mess."

"Yes, Doctor."