Dinner pt.1

As the sun dipped behind the field, Johnny lounged on the porch of his family home, gazing out at the landscape. He never really liked the place, but there wasn't much he could do about it. Tucked away in the wilderness, the house seemed like it hadn't changed in years. Its exterior was a mix of worn-out wood and faded paint, surrounded by an overgrown yard. Broken windows offered a peek inside, hinting at its neglected past.

But there was one thing he appreciated about the place - the porch had a sturdy bench swing. Johnny's gaze shifted to it, a small nod to simpler times in the midst of the chaos that had enveloped his life.

Johnny sprawled on his elbows, searching for any reason to break the monotony, to escape the unending silence that plagued him. Boredom clung to him like a shadow, and he longed for any distraction to free himself from his own thoughts.

Lately, life had taken an unusual turn, quite unlike the usual disorder and arguments that filled his days. Solitude was a new experience, and he hadn't quite figured out how to deal with it.

Most folks might appreciate a break from the constant discord, but Johnny knew his family was far from normal. They didn't fit the typical mold, yet he couldn't imagine anything different. The age-old question of nature versus nurture crossed his mind often, and he remained uncertain about his own existence.

"Johnny! Johnny!" A voice echoed through the distance, punctuated by manic laughter.

Johnny jolted from his reverie and scanned his surroundings. The voice was unmistakably his brother Nubbins, making his way towards him from the far end of the field.

"Good lord," Johnny muttered under his breath.

He had a complex relationship with his siblings, driven by the bonds of family but tainted by their peculiarities. While love for them was a given, actually liking them was another matter altogether.

Nubbins, in particular, always struck Johnny as... well... weird, for lack of a better word. His fragile frame, the birthmark splashed across his face, and the cascade of greasy black hair always made Johnny uneasy.

As Johnny observed Nubbins drawing nearer, his eyes widened. His brother, usually an eccentric figure, was now a disturbing sight. Nubbins was smeared with fresh, crimson blood, a stark contrast to his typically peculiar appearance.

Their interactions, for the most part, balanced between frustration and fascination. Johnny found himself perpetually torn between shielding his sibling and keeping a safe distance from whatever seized Nubbins this time.

With a gasp of shock, Johnny hoisted himself up from the porch. Its creaking echoed through the still air, a sound as familiar as the stagnant atmosphere surrounding their home. The sun's gradual descent cast elongated shadows across the yard as he rushed to meet Nubbins, his heart racing at the spectacle before him.

"What'd you find?!" Johnny's voice rang out, a mixture of curiosity and exasperation.

"You won't believe it!" Nubbins laughed manically, his eyes gleaming with excitement. "I found one! I found one! I found one!"

Johnny scanned their surroundings, bewildered. "Where?"

"Just right here, down this hill," Nubbins replied, his grin stretching from ear to ear as he pointed downhill.

Johnny rolled his eyes but couldn't resist the urge to follow his eccentric brother. "Damnit, wait!" He jogged to catch up with Nubbins, who was already skipping down the slope.

"Johnny! Hurry, come, come!" Nubbins called, his enthusiasm infectious. Johnny slid down the hill, nearly losing his balance, and when he finally reached Nubbins, the sight before him made him shake his head in disbelief.