Another spy

Severus was pinned to the ground as he heard the curse but quickly redeemed himself when he saw Dolohov lifeless on the ground. Silence filled the forest for a moment.

"Potter!", someone shouted, and he noticed the wand in his throat quiver, he quickly punched the death eater, and he was sprawled to the ground, Severus quickly raised his wand at him.

"Remove your mask.", he said in his threatening voice.

The death eater quickly removed it, and Severus was stunned to see who it was.

"Avery.", he said quietly.

 "Hello Headmaster.", Robert Avery grinned at him and apparated himself. Severus was shocked by what he did and quickly scanned the crowd to locate where he is, the aurors and the death eaters were now in a duel, flying hexes and curses everywhere.

Severus stopped as he saw Avery grasping Toby from behind and put his wand in his throat.

"How about living your life without your son?", he asked him grinning.

Severus strode towards them in a slow and defense manner.

"I was wondering then how you knew he's my son.", he said, remembering the conversation at his office where Avery just looked at his eyes and said that 'his son' was missing, "No one knew. We didn't announce it anywhere.", Severus added.

"I was spying on you. The moment you employed me at Hogwarts, plans to kill you is slowly made. But when I found out you had a son with that mudblood whore, ha! What a delight indeed, killing him would hurt you many times over as you made as suffer.", he said, "Now I was thinking if sparing you would bring so much agony in you knowing that your son was killed because of you. Would you kill yourself then Snape?", he asked and turned to look at Toby, 

"Let's get this over with, shall we?", Avery said, looking back at Severus.

Severus quickly pointed his wand at him but,

"Avada Kedavra!"

Severus quickly grabbed Toby, getting himself away from Avery's lifeless body. Toby hugged Severus and buried his face in his robes. Severus looked up to see Potter behind Avery.

"Go now Headmaster, we'll take it from here.", he said and quickly went back to the duel with the death eaters.

Severus looked at his son and was now sobbing in his robes, Severus held him tight and apparated them to his chambers. When they arrived, Severus pulled Toby's body from him and still holding his arms, he sat down to meet his eyes.

"Toby.", he said softly.

Toby managed to look at Severus right in the eyes and when he did, Toby felt joy that he's now with Severus, he lounged back to him again and tightly, Severus felt warm inside, knowing that his son is safe and was now hugging him, he hugged him back.

"Thank you Hea--", Severus heard him paused, "Thank you dad.", he said, and Severus hugged him again. Severus was so happy to hear him say it and tears were now looming in his eyes.

They stayed like that for a while, but Severus heard Toby's stomach grumble. Severus pulled back and looked at him with worry, "They didn't give you anything to eat?", he asked, Toby looked at the floor and shook his head.

Severus call on Winky and instructed to prepare them their dinner.

"Let's call your mum.", Severus said and held his tiny hand, guiding him towards his floo network in his office outside his private chambers.

Severus let Toby sit on the sofa as he called on Hermione, and after a while Hermione rushed inside Severus' office and hugged Toby tightly.

"Mum.", Toby cried out in her robes as he hugged his mother.

"Oh love, I'm glad your safe.", she said. Toby pulled back from the hug and smiled at him, turning to Severus, "Dad was there.", he said, and Hermione's eyes welled up with tears as he grabbed his son again for a tight hug. Severus looked at them admiringly.

As they waited for their dinner to arrive, Hermione instructed Toby to take a bath and was changed into more comfortable clothes, Severus then applied some dittany in Toby's wounds so that it will not leave a scar.

When they had their dinner, Severus was so happy to witness his table was now complete. They may not talk happily right now but soon; he was glad that it was over, and that Toby is well.

Toby hugged his father goodnight and him and Hermione went through the floo network to their house to let Toby rest. Severus settled himself in his armchair and was silently hoping that Hermione would be back.