Roadtrip IV (Modern AU)

The next morning you roll over on the couch. The sun was shining through the sliding glass doors that lead to the small porch overlooking the beach. Your head was pounding. Of course you had a weed hangover. You grab your phone off of the coffee table.

10:23 a.m.

You wondered if Anakin was awake. You didn't want things to be awkward after last night especially because you aren't even sure if he meant what he said.

But you and Anakin have been best friends since you were babies. You've seen each other in your best and worse times. You doubt this minor situation will affect anything.

Your head continues to pound as you sit up.

The bright morning sunlight shines through the glass doors, and the cool sea breeze hits your face.

You look at your phone, and see a text message from Anakin.

"Hey, are you awake?"

Anakin's text message is the only evidence of last night's events, but you're certain he still remembers.

You roll your eyes at his message. He's too lazy to just walk out of the bedroom to come check.

You get up off of the couch and open the bedroom door to see Anakin twisted in the bedsheets with his hair sticking up in different places. You assumed he was in the same place you were with the whole weed hangover.

"You literally could've just walked out and checked to see if I was awake."

Anakin rolls over, and speaks with a tired tone of voice.

"I'm just tired, okay? Give me a second..."

His eyes look bloodshot, and you get the sense that he's had quite a heavy night.

Anakin yawns, and looks at you.

"Hey..."

You get in the bed, laying your head on one of the pillows and face Anakin.

"Hi..."

Anakin smiles at you, but the smile quickly disappears from his face.

He sits up in bed, and rubs his eyes.

Anakin lets out a deep breath, and looks at you.

"Look... about last night..."

His voice is hesitant, and you get the impression that he's trying to find the words to express his thoughts.

"Did I really say all of that?"

"Look it's fine. I already know what you are going to say, it was a mistake. You don't have to explain yourself." You sit up as well.

Anakin looks at you, and then speaks with a nervous chuckle.

"Well here's the thing... I don't think it was a mistake... and it wasn't just the weed talking either."

He pauses for a moment, and looks at you with a sense of vulnerability.

"I meant that. Every word... I've felt that way for a long time..."

"If you really meant that, you wouldn't have been sleeping around with Padme." You get off the bed and start to make your way to the door.

Anakin stands up, and starts to follow you.

"Wait. It's not like that. When I'm with you, it just feels different. The way you look at me, the way you touch me...."

Anakin's voice becomes deeper, and more sincere.