Chapter 17

On the drive back, I kept thinking about everything; the night before, our kiss, cuddling right before I dozed off, the way she looked so into the girl I just saw her making out with.

"Are you gonna be okay?" Porsche asked me when we had arrived back, and she was already planning to go back out.

"I'll be fine, just go have fun," I replied.

"Ugh, but I feel like I should stay here. I mean you just witnessed the worst thing you could ever imagine and who knows how emotional you're gonna be five seconds from now?"

I rolled my eyes and smiled. "I do have your phone number, and you'll probably be waiting outside for that five seconds anyway."

"Yeah, I'll probably end up doing that," she muttered under her breath.

"Okay, just go. I just wanna write and forget about tonight, you go have fun and everything and we can discuss this in the morning, okay?"

She sighed and headed to the door. "Fine, but please call me if you need me?"

"Yes, I'm okay."

"Alright, I'll take your word for it."

She left without any more fuss and bother, thank goodness to that.

I really was okay, I just needed a distraction, and Doubles As was just the distraction I needed.

Writing about Alicia and Allison at their school dance, it helped. Imagining how the evening would play out for them and putting it all down, pushing into the keys of my keyboard.

I had just uploaded the chapter when my phone rang.

"Hello?" I said, not even bothering to check Caller ID.

"You need to come home, it's an emergency," Trent said instantly.

"What happened?" I asked, already shoving my feet into my shoes and grabbing my hoodie.

"It's Mom, she's been taken into hospital. I need you here Isa, please say you'll come."

"God, of course I'm coming. I can say it's an emergency, T, I'm coming."

"Thanks," he said, and even though he was definitely upset I could hear his small smile.

"I'll be there in less than an hour, I promise, I love you."

"Love you too, sis."

As I locked the door and headed down the stairs, I panicked.

It was an easy drive there at this time of night, but I had no ride.

I had no choice but to call Alice.

"Are you able to drive?"

"Yes, why?" she asked.

"Family emergency," I answered.

"I'll be there in five."

Next I called Megan.

"Mom's in hospital."

"Shit," she hissed. "Are you going home?"

"Well, obviously. Aren't you?"

"Nope, I can't get a ride this late. How can you?"

I scoffed. "Because I can."

"Whatever. Look, I'll see what I can do tomorrow, okay? Goodnight."

I couldn't handle being on the phone with her for much longer anyway.

Alice pulled up next to me a few minutes after.

"Get in," she told me after opening the passenger door.

I climbed in and as soon as I had my seatbelt on we were off.