Chapter 18

The drive there was thankfully short. Alice seemed to figure out on her own that I was pissed at her and didn't try to get me to talk.

Which was good, because I had nothing to say to her anyway.

We got to the hospital, and I found Trent and Jake in the waiting room.

"What happened?" I asked, hugging them both.

T sniffled, trying not to cry. "I'm sorry, it's all my fault.

"Stop it, it's my fault too," J cut in. "We thought she wasn't overworking herself, because she looked a lot better. She's been going round in circles, same as always. And then she collapsed today and when we checked she was breathing we got an ambulance out to bring her here."

"I called you when we were driving over," Trent added.

"Also who's this?" Jake asked, noticing Alice for the first time.

She was just standing there, a small polite smile on her face, but I couldn't see her as anything other than the girl who said she really liked me then kissed another girl not an hour later.

"Just a friend, I'll go out quickly to see her off, tell me if we get any news," I said.

"Of course," T replied.

........

Outside, that was when she finally asked me what was up.

"It's just...I feel like I've upset you somehow," she said.

"I went to your party, I saw you kissing that girl," I snapped back.

She paled slightly. "Shit. Isa, it didn't mean anything-"

"It meant something to me, okay!? I've never been in love before, and then you came into my life and I just- I was scared to say anything because I didn't know if you liked me back like Porsche said, but then you said you did and-"

I had to remember to breathe, and to remember how I stop myself from crying, there would be time for plenty of crying when I see my mom.

"I want to be with you, but I can't if one minute you're with me and the next with some other random girl. I need some time away, okay?"

Alice looked down at her feet, and nodded.

I went back inside, not turning back once.

But I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to.

Trent and Jake were waiting, sitting in the chairs.

At least they seemed happy with each other, at least they were together.

"Mom is awake, I told her you were here, she wants to see you," T informed me.

I went into the room he told me she was in, and she was lying in the hospital bed, awake, looking at me,

She smiled, I started crying.