What do you really need?

July 24, 2023

Wait, hear me out. Most of you would say you need a smartphone. I don't think so. I myself is an advocate of technology, and I owned smartphones, because it has all the features I "want" on it, and some key features that I need.

Hence, a smartphone is a pocket of excesses, a pocket of distractions. As much as smartphones are nice to have, you don't really need it. Social media? Games? E-commerce? You don't really need those things in life, they are excesses in the grand scheme of things. You need it for work? Yet you have a computer, and a camera if you will, will do the job that you attribute your smartphone as important. You buy things, you make yourselves busy, you combat your boredom with social media, to distract yourself from that inner feeling of needing to fill that void!

We don't need excesses. Simple things, and simple evidences, will do the job, will prove your worth.
Our troubled friends, our loved ones, don't need social media through our smartphones, what they need is a simple call, a simple message, that we are there, that we care. We don't need mobile apps, games, or social media to combat boredom, what we need is something worthwhile to do, what we need is to appreciate the simple things in the world, that often are wonderful; what we need is the real medium of society, the real medium of life, not the artifice of social media.

What we want are complicated things, yet what we really need are these simple things in life.

#ChristopherSAlonzo