Home

I can tell they are all just as nervous as I am. No one wants to be the first one to talk, but after a few seconds Liam is the first to go.

      "Now that you have been a part of our family for a while now. We think it's time we talk a little about what happened before you began to live with us." Even though I knew it was coming, his words still leave me paralyzed. It feels like I can't breathe as I try to think of anything I could say.

      "We know it's hard, but we are here for you. If you tell us what happened, we can help you move on from it. You don't have to deal with this alone." Olivia says as she gives me a reassuring smile. Despite what is happening, the genuine concern they are showing for me makes me feel more relaxed. I never had this amount of comfort back at home, daddy was always too busy for anything like that.

      "Ok- if yo...you're sure."

      "Before they found you at the park, where did you live?"

      "I lived with.. my dad and.... Brother. There was also my mom and sister but-" I can tell they are all examining every word I am saying. They are trying to piece together anything they can, they probably are already wondering what happened to my mommy and Lizzy. I can tell by the way their faces soften when I mention them that they can tell what I mean.

      "What was your dad and brother like?" The look in Olivia's eyes is innocent, yet I can't help but shudder at her words. She is about to say more but Liam puts a hand on her shoulder and they both look at each other.

      "We understand if you don't want to talk about it. We know that this must be hard for you." Olivia eyes Liam with daggers. I can tell she is unhappy with the thought of me waiting to tell them. But despite their disagreement no words are said. Wherever mommy and daddy disagreed things were so much different I can still remember those nights.

      "It's ok. I know I have to tell you eventually. My dad and brother- our family was not happy." I can see the pain on their faces as the words sink in. Even though they were expecting it, it still doesn't lessen their reactions.

      Mia is about to say something but changes her mind, deciding to wait to hear what I was about to say.

      "Daddy wasn't around much. Then Mike he- he changed after mommy left." Before I even know it, I am crying. It's not even a few seconds before I feel Olivia and Liam hugging me. I have gotten used to them comforting me when I am sad, even though the thought was alien to me for so long.

      "Did your dad take care of you? Where you and your brother safe?" Even though Liam is still smiling to comfort me, I can tell that there is a hint of anger in his voice. Did I do something wrong? Is he going to yell at me for crying?

      "He took care of us, but he was never around. He was always at work and left me at home with my brother." I can see tension building up in everyone's faces. I can tell they are waiting for me to continue. Looking over at Leo, his expression is tense. Unlike everyone else he is not putting on a fake smile for the conversation. He looks like he is grimacing, it's a look I am not unfamiliar with.

      "Stop bothering me! I don't care about your nightmares!"

      I quickly snap back to reality as I realize everyone is staring.

      "And he took care of you giving you the love and attention your dad didn't right?" Leo's voice is rising, and his hand is clenched. Emily puts a hand on his shoulder and whispers something that I can't hear. It doesn't seem to calm him down however. Emily can see this as she stops not wanting to stir his anger.

      "He hated me." My voice breaks as I close my eyes.

      "Everyday was a living nightmare. He and his friends always scared me, making me always feel unsafe at home." I see Olivia and Liam share a glance.