𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔯𝔱𝔶-𝔢𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

The morning I was taken off of bedrest, Astraea and Madja had to help me to my feet. My legs were so stiff. The only time I'd been out of bed at all in the past few days was to use the restroom, and Madja had to help me walk there and back.

Astraea had helped me bathe and change into clean clothes. She'd brushed my hair out for me, as well. It felt nice to be taken care of. I had forgotten what that was like.

"Let's go get breakfast, sweetheart," she suggested. "This time, it's actually healthy."

She linked our arms so I had some support, and the two of us went down to the dining room. Only Rhys and Cassian were sitting at the table.

I sat beside Rhys as Astraea slipped into the spot next to Cassian, across from me.

"How are you feeling?" Rhys asked me.

"Better," I shrugged as I took in the food before me.

Eggs, bacon, oatmeal, and fruit. It had been a while since I'd allowed myself to indulge in full meals. With Elio always shaming me for every bite I took, I had stopped eating as much. But he was gone, so I piled some food onto my plate.

"Where is everybody?" I asked, glancing around.

"Mor took the twins to look at apartments," Rhys explained. "And Azriel is on a mission."

"You sent him on a mission my first day off of bedrest?" I demanded.

"He asked to be sent on a mission," Rhys shrugged.

"Oh," I said, feeling a bit hurt.

After Madja had sent him away that first morning, he hadn't been back to see me. I had to wonder if he was avoiding me.

"Is he seeing anyone?" I dared to ask.

The idea of him with another female made me want to vomit on the kitchen floor. Something in my chest screamed at that mere thought. He was always supposed to be mine, it seemed to say.

"No," Astraea answered. "He's never been serious with anyone."

"That's reassuring," I said sarcastically.

"Why do you care?" Cassian teased me.

"I don't need to be grilled for asking a simple question, Cassian!" I shot at him, my cheeks going pink.

I knew my feelings for him had always been obvious. But now with him seemingly avoiding me, it was a bit humiliating.

"Fine, you don't have to be such a bitch about it," Cassian joked with a chuckle.

I flinched, going quiet.

We used to use words like that against each other all of the time as teenagers. But it felt different now.

I could hear Elio's voice in my head, feel his hands on me.

"Worthless fucking bitch, I'm gonna bash your fucking face in!" His fist hit my face over and over as he screamed the words at me.

My brother was immediately in my mind, sending soothing waves to me. I remembered being a young child, maybe two, and feeling those comforting waves every time I started to cry.

    I got out of my chair and went up to my room without saying a word, not even turning back as they all called my name.

I found myself storming through the hallways until I found my old bedroom. When I opened the door, I found it untouched.