𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔣𝔬𝔲𝔯𝔱𝔢𝔢𝔫

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

     I got dressed the next morning, slipping into a nice golden gown I found in my closet.

     Elio led me to the dining hall where his family had gathered for breakfast. I smiled at them in greeting, sitting down next to his sister, Eden, as he sat on the other side of me.

    There were many plates of breakfast foods in front of us. I put some eggs on my plate along with some fruits. I filled my glass with water.

"Father, I think I'll take Eden hunting with me today," Eris spoke up. Eden perked up beside me at the idea.

"Oh, please, Father, I've been wanting to go with him for ages," Eden pleaded. Beron sighed, thinking it over.

"Very well, just have her back in time to help her mother prepare supper," Beron decided. Eris nodded, going back to his food. Eden beamed as she filled her glass with orange juice.

"Do you like to hunt?" I asked Elio, taking the opportunity to get to know my husband.

"Yes," he replied, not bothering to expand on it.

"Have you been hunting before?" Eden asked me. I was grateful at her attempt to speak with me.

"My father took me along a few times, but I didn't enjoy it very much," I admitted. "I'm not quite patient enough."

"I don't think Eden will be either," the third born, Callum, joked. Eden rolled her amber eyes.

"Did you prepare breakfast?" I asked Marzia.

        Her head shot up, and she stared at me for a second as though she was surprised to be addressed.

"Yes," she confirmed. "Eden and I prepare all the meals except lunch. Perhaps you can join us tonight in preparing supper." I smiled gratefully.

"I'd love that."

     The rest of breakfast was eaten in silence. When I finished my meal, I placed my silverware on my plate. Marzia stood up and began collecting the dishes to bring to the kitchen.

"Come, my dear," Elio spoke, offering a hand to me as he stood.

"Where are we going?" I asked, glancing around.

"Don't question your husband, girl," Beron scolded me.

"It's alright, Father," Elio defended me. "I thought I'd take you on a carriage ride so you could see the court."

     I smiled gratefully, taking his hand and getting to my feet.

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

    People were staring at the carriage as it went by. I waved to them through the window, smiling in awe at the beautiful view.

    The autumn foliage was a breathtaking sight. The path we were riding down was lined with trees. The trees had leaves of gold, red, and orange.

    The brown mares that pulled the carriage were gorgeous. Elio smiled as he watched me taking in everything we passed.

"It's such a beautiful court," I announced, sighing deeply. He nodded his agreement.

    A fox ran past the carriage and I gasped, my eyes going wide. I'd never seen a fox before. I'd only seen illustrations and read about them in stories.

"Was that a fox?"

"Yes," he answered, grinning. "We have many of them here."

"That's incredible," I beamed.

"What's in like in your court?"

"Beautiful," I replied with a smile. "The nights are breathtaking. The days are pretty, too. I mostly grew up in the Illyrian mountains. It was cold and brutal. But I had my family there."

"You're close with your family?" he asked me, seeming surprised.

"Yes," I admitted with a nod. "Aren't you?"

"I love my mother and sister dearly," he said with a shrug. "My brothers and I tolerate each other."

"And your father?"

    He didn't respond. I glanced out the window, pretending as though I had never asked.

"I'm sure my mother is looking forward to cooking dinner with you tonight," he said, changing the subject.

"I'm looking forward to it as well," I confessed.

    I was so afraid I would be lonely and mistreated here. But Elio seemed kind enough. Beron was rude, but he hadn't harmed me. Marzia seemed like she could be a friend. Maybe even Eden as well.

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

      I couldn't help but laugh as Eden spilled batter all over her dress, even as she shrieked and desperately wiped at it with a towel.

     Marzia glanced around to make sure no one was near before flicking her fingers. The batter disappeared from the girl's dress, and she relaxed.

"Thank you," she said to her mother. I chuckled, continuing to prepare the salad.

      Eden studied me as I worked on the salad, and I felt a bit uncomfortable from her stare. I turned to her, raising an eyebrow.

"Are you a prude, Evelina?" she wondered. My eyes widened, the words shocking me.

"Excuse me?"

"Eden, don't ask such rude questions," Marzia warned her daughter.

"It's just that my room is right next to yours, and I'm pretty sure nothing happened last night," she teased. I pursed my lips.

"I am not a prude," I lied. "It's just difficult. I just met him. And our age difference is a year greater than my age."

"Prude," Eden mused, a teasing smile on her lips.

"How old are you, anyway?" I demanded. She straightened up.

"I'm sixteen," she replied.

"Ah," I nodded. "So next year, when your father marries you off to an older male you don't know, come back to me and tell me how easy it is for you to sleep with him."

      That shut her up. She went back to making brownies. Marzia sighed, her hand suddenly on my shoulder.

"I know this isn't easy for you, dear," she smiled sadly. "I was in the same position when I was just a few years older than you are now."

"How did you come to terms with it?" I wondered.

"I had no choice," she replied. "But you should know that it is important for you and Elio to have children. You don't have to now, but eventually, it will have to happen."

"I know," I admitted, staring at the ground. She lifted my chin so I was looking into her amber eyes.

"Once you have children, things stop being so bad," she promised me. "You stop feeling so alone. You will finally have someone to love who loves you back. Someone familiar."

"I don't want to have children until I'm at least 200," I confessed. She sighed.

"I'm afraid as females in this court, we don't have much of a choice. You know how it is."

"I'm only 17," I retorted. "I don't know anything."

"You'll learn," she sighed, stroking my cheek. "Elio is a kind male. He'll treat you and your offspring well."

"And your husband?" I dared to ask. "How will he treat me and my offspring?"

"Stay out of his way," she advised. "Follow his instructions. Do not anger him, and you shall be fine."

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙