𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔱𝔶-𝔬𝔫𝔢

i don't go into detail about what happened to Astraea in this story, but if you don't want to read Dark Paradise to find out, you can just read chapter 9 of Dark Paradise. it gives the rundown.

‧‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

‧‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

Rhys and I hadn't had much time alone since I had gotten back. But we cherished moments when it was just the two of us. We were the only immediate family we had left, and sometimes we needed to grieve together, in private.

Other times, he would do paperwork at his desk while I sat in the reclining, cozy chair that sat in the corner of his office. I would knit while he worked, neither of us speaking. Just finding solace in the others company.

I had taken up knitting as a pass-time when I was pregnant. It was a distraction from the reality of my marriage, but it was also nice to knit things for the children.

Azriel was off on a mission in Windhaven, but he had left a shadow--Wynn--with me. She was perched on the arm of the chair, not bothering me as I knit.

Rhys and I hadn't spoken in over an hour, both of us emersed in our work. But it was nice just knowing I was with my brother. A year ago, I wouldn't have ever imagined I would be get to come home.

Wynn began stirring beside me. I sighed, setting my things on my lap and glancing at her.

"What's wrong, Wynnie?" I asked with a hint of annoyance. She wrapped around my wrist, tugging me out of the chair. "Wynn!"

"What is it?" Rhys asked, glancing up from his work.

I didn't answer as Wynn continued to swirl around, as though she was trying to tell me something.

"Is he okay?" I demanded, anxiety pooling in my chest, making it hard to breathe. She shook side to side. "Where is he?"

"What's going on?" Rhys repeated, irritation laced in his tone.

"It's Azriel," I explained, my eyes wide as they met my twin's. "I need to go help him!"

"No, stay here," he instructed. "I'll find him."

"He needs my help!" I yelled, my chest screaming at me to find him. "Wynn, take me to him."

"Eve, no," Rhys snarled at me, stepping out from behind his desk and advancing towards me. "You aren't to leave Velaris until this—"

I knew his shadows could winnow him, but I wasn't sure if just one could. She began to swirl around me, faster than I'd ever seen her move.

We were gone as Rhys yelled at me to stay.

We arrived in the Illyrian mountains, my eyes squinting against the light. I heard the commotion before I saw it. Up the hill, it was him against at least twelve Illyrian males.

He wasn't going to win this fight. From the way he was limping, I could tell that he was already injured.

While I hadn't been physically trained, my father had begun training my powers at a young age.

In theory, I knew how to crush someone's mind. But I wasn't experienced enough to crush all of their minds at once, and I had no time to do it individually.

I thought of misting. I had never misted a person before. Just food and training dummies.

But I remembered the time my father set up rows of training dummies, and stood amongst them. He had instructed me to mist all the dummies and spare him. I had been in hysterics, terrified of accidentally killing my father. But he had been confident in my abilities, and I had managed to complete the task.