𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔱𝔴𝔬

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

age: 8

     The birds of Velaris were incredibly elegant. My mother had me tucked in her arms as we sat on the balcony outside my bedroom, staring at the flying creatures.

"They're called starlings," she told me, planting a kiss on the side of my head.

"That's what you call me," I remembered, turning my head to look at her beautiful face.

     I had been her 'little starling' for as long as I could remember. I loved it, even though I had no idea what it meant. I always assumed it was because the word 'star' was in it and I was the Princess of the Night Court.

"Yes," she smiled, turning me around in her lap so that I was fully facing her. "My little starling."

     I grinned, resting my head on her shoulder. She hugged me tight, brushing my hair back. I loved these peaceful mornings when Father was training and Rhys was still asleep. When it was just me and her. 

     The air was crisp this time of year, but it was a nice and quiet morning, except for the chirping of the birds. My mother always smelled of vanilla. To me, it was the most comforting scent in the world.

"Good morning," I heard in my head. 

"Don't ruin this morning for me," I warned my brother, the peace I felt coming to a halt as quickly as glass could shatter.

"What makes you think I'd ruin it?"

"You always get us into trouble."

"You're never completely innocent when that happens."

"Shut up and leave me alone."

     His voice faded from my mind and I sighed, snuggling closer to my mother. My mother chuckled at something and I glanced up at her curiously.

"Your brother just informed me that you're being mean to him," she teased. I rolled my eyes and put my head back down.

"He should know better than to bother me in the morning," I grumbled. 

     I closed my eyes again and tried my best to replicate that feeling of tranquility that I had felt just moments before.

     The door to the balcony slammed open and I groaned, lifting my head to look at Rhys. He had an irritating grin on his face.

"Go away!" I snapped.

"Evelina Lily Estrella, be nice to your brother," Mother scolded. "And Rhysand, do not irritate her on purpose."

"Sorry," we both mumbled at the same time.

"There's plenty of room for both on you on my lap," she assured us. 

     Rhys beamed, rushing over to us and jumping onto her lap. I shoved him backwards, but Mother's arm kept him from falling. She shot me a warning glance, and I begrudgingly decided to share her with my brother for the morning. 

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

age: 8

     My nerves were getting the best of me. Our parents had called us in for a meeting before breakfast, which was never good. 

     Last time, it meant we had to accompany them to a High Lord meeting. It was been utterly boring, and I had jumped into the Dawn Court fountain in the middle of it. My father had been utterly furious.