𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔯𝔱𝔢𝔢𝔫

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

𝔭𝔞𝔯𝔱 2: 𝔞𝔫 𝔞𝔯𝔯𝔞𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔡 𝔪𝔞𝔯𝔯𝔦𝔞𝔤𝔢

age: 17

        Elio wasn't unattractive. In fact, he was quite handsome. He gave me a shy smile as I approached him, my father leading me forward.

        My dress was a maroon velvet with long flared sleeves. I had to hold up the extra fabric so I didn't trip. There were golden designs embroidered across my waist.

       Father said I wouldn't be allowed to bring any of my belongings with me. I'd even have to burn this beautiful dress. I could bring nothing from Night into my new life.

"Goodbye, my sweet Eve," my father said to me. I blinked back tears as he pressed a kiss to my cheek.

"Goodbye, Father," I said quietly, unable to bring myself to anger as I realized it would be a long time before I saw him again.

        He winnowed away, and I was left with this new family. Beron, his wife Marzia, his daughter, and his three sons. The middle son was watching me nervously. 

"Welcome to the family, Evelina," Marzia said sweetly, approaching me.

         She pressed a kiss to my cheek and hugged me in welcome. I hugged her back. I wondered if she could feel how badly my arms were shaking. But maybe I would at least have one person to trust here.

"The wedding is in two days," she announced, holding my hand in hers. "Elio?" Elio stepped forward. I forced myself to smile at the older male.

        He had brown hair that was kept short, unlike his brothers had their mother's red hair. His brown eyes were flitting around the room nervously. 

       After a deep breath, he presented me with a ring. A silver band with a small diamond on top. I let him slide it onto my left ring finger.

"Thank you," I said quietly, though I couldn't meet his eyes as I curtsied before him. 

"You are the put the wings away," Beron announced to me. Marzia put a hand on my shoulder as her husband's attention was turned to me. "Always."

"Always?" I demanded. They all turned to me as though no one had ever questioned the male before.

"Always," he repeated. "The people of my court cannot know you're a lesser fae."

"I'm not a lesser fae. I'm only half Illyrian," I insisted.

        Cassian always told me not to be ashamed of my heritage. Though, Azriel bore enough shame for all of us.

"Do not talk back," he warned. "I also expect you to refrain from using your powers. In our court, it is not acceptable for females to use magic."

"That's ridi—"

"Marzia, show her to her room," he cut me off tonighy. "I don't want to deal with this tonight."

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

     Marzia brushed my hair as I stared at myself in the mirror. I fidgeted with the diamond necklace Elio had given me.

"It'll be okay, darling," she promised me.

"I wish my mother were here," I said quietly.

       My family was not allowed at the wedding. My father was too busy and he believed my mother, brother, and friends would die trying to stop the wedding.