Chapter 1

"I can no longer face society, Major Sahib and it wasn't my Banno's fault", the old man cried and directed his eyes to a young man whose face was adorned with bruises, he looked elsewhere unable to bear the intensity as the father cursed him, "This man had taken advantage of her innocence, he manipulated her to run away. Otherwise, you know what kind of girl my daughter is, she had grown up under the village's guidance, in fact, more than me she considers you her father", The old man joined his hands and pleaded with his eyes to the other man whose presence demanded attention. His fingers adorned with rings, his beard reaching his neck and his eyes holding an intensity as he glared at the mass.

The mass shivered, they were here to listen to the final judgement, after the major's final decision nobody could protest, it was above the law. From his posture and actions, it seemed he was displeased.

A police spoke up in support pushing the blame to the young man, "What kind of man are you? Don't you have any self-respect or sense of guilt for manipulating young girls?" The young man bowed his head in shame as the villagers started whispering.

Bano closed her eyes and shook her head, her brown eyes accusing, " Don't blame him, I was the one who wanted to escape, and for this, I blame you, Major Sahib because of you I ran away"

The policeman interrupted, "How dare you! You were the one with such a weak character and now you are pushing the blame on our Major", Jahangir stood up and motioned her to continue.

"My father didn't want me to marry, so when you gave me the job offer he thought he could use me as his bank, Major Sahib I am forty years old. Tell me who would marry me now? And that's when I met Sohail, my father rejected his proposal and this village is against love marriages, so I had no other choice", the woman shared, her father stood and started denying her accusations.

"Have you gone crazy? What rubbish are you spewing? Major Sahib she has gone crazy, please I beg you to end this nikkah, this man is a predator. He had used her", he held his hand and begged.

"Shamsher Khan by calling for this panchayat you have made me realise that you don't care about your daughter's defamation. Her words and accusations hold more weight than yours, but I would have helped her if instead of running away she had approached me", he sighed as the woman started bawling, "You knew the punishment for your actions long ago, Bano Khan and Sohail Yaqub, you both have broken our laws and made fun of our culture. For such an act you need to be stoned"

Bano stood her eyes brimming with tears as she faced the crowd, "I accept the punishment, but before I die, can I say something", Jahangir motioned her to continue.

"From the moment I was born until a week ago, I was living a life dictated by your rules. But last week I tasted freedom, forty years of my life fell short of the happiness I experienced. I am not guilty, just regretful for being a puppet doll in your hands", as the tears dropped she dropped to the ground and was persecuted. The winds howled, carrying with them the echoes of a shattered life and the weight of tradition that had crushed her spirit.

___

Preetam Ki Nazron Se Girr Karr

Jeena Hai Kis Kaam

Sanson Ki Mala Pe

Simroon Main Pi Ka Naam

The song played as a young woman bobbed her head to the lyrics, one hand on the steering wheel and the other reaching for her phone to increase the volume. She felt the words in her heart and then she started singing it. Her fingers tapped on the wheel as she stopped on the signal.

Phir Bhi Kyun Lage Tera Naam Leke

Saath Tujhe Kaisi Yaad Aayi Har Pal

Teri Yaadon Mein Gum Rehta Hai Din