Chapter 22

"You should smile more," Razia commented as she saw the blush on her cheeks. She was reading a romance novel when Razia tried to peak into her book, but Seher hid it from her.

It started raining again, and Seher excitedly opened the window, letting her hand out so the cold water fell on her hands. It started pouring rain, removing her shoes, she quickly ran to the terrace. She closed her eyes, letting the tiny droplets kiss her face. In the loneliness of the night, she finally found her peace. Her happiness, the anklets in her legs made a sound. She bent down and removed them, her legs were slippery, the terrace was getting filled.

She sat down on the terrace and looked up at the cloudy sky, "Madam kya dekh rahi hai aap?"
(What are you looking at?)

"Aasman, chaand taarein. Tum bhi dekho", as she laid on the wet terrace floor, Razia gasped.

(Sky, moon and the stars. Come)

"Aap bimar hojayengi (You will get sick in the rain)," she shrugged, who cared. She would happily embrace this cold, "Apni marzi se bimaar hongi, Razia mujhe aisa lagraha ki mai wapas America mai hu bachpan m chali gayi Har cheez khoobsurat lagrahi (I will become sick by my own choice, Razia. It feels like I'm back in America, as if I've returned to my childhood. Everything seems beautiful.) "she said. They heard a peacock, and Seher got up, picking up her dupatta and looking through the terrace.

She saw the peacock dancing in the rain, its feathers shimmering with every graceful movement. Mesmerized by the sight, Seher couldn't help but smile as she watched the elegant display of nature. "Razia, dekho na, kitna khoobsurat hai (Razia, look how beautiful it is)," she whispered, her voice filled with awe.

Razia joined her at the edge of the terrace, sharing in Seher's wonder. "Sach mein, bahut khoobsurat hai (Indeed it is)" she agreed, a soft smile playing on her lips.

As they stood there together, watching the peacock dance in the rain, Seher felt a sense of serenity wash over her, she knew that she was exactly where she was meant to be.

"Do you know why a peacock dances in the rain?" Razia answered, "Because they love rain?" Seher laughed, "They dance to attract peahen by displaying their beautiful feathers. It's like courtship"

Razia laughed, "Imagine if this happened in real life, Men dancing to attract women, woman would laugh on them"

Seher frowned, "Why?"

"Because dancing is for women, it's for the courtesans."

Seher adjusted her dupatta, her expression thoughtful. "Razia, you know, it's the way society sees things. But I think dancing's a joy for anyone who feels it in their heart, not just courtesans."

Razia nodded slowly, considering Seher's words. "In our world, it's the men who do the courting, not the other way around."

With a smile, Seher turned her attention back to the peacock, still dancing gracefully in the rain. "Look at this peacock. Just like it, we should embrace who we are and express ourselves freely, without fear of judgment."

___

The dawn arrived. She was the first person to wake up, looking from the terrace. She could see him exiting the quarters washing his face with the bucket of water she had placed for him early in the morning. He took the bucket of water and went to the bathing area. As he was walking, he felt eyes on him.

He saw her standing there wearing a pink suit, her head covered with the dupatta, smiling at him. His lips curved up as he realised it wasn't one-sided.

Her eyes would twinkle whenever she smiled, her lips would curve up, and a little blush would appear on either side of her cheeks. While the two gazed at each other from the tower, Ayesha witnessed the scene.