Chapter 21

"Saad sahib ek aadmi aaya hai bahar, kehraha h k aapke bhai ne bheja hai (Saad Sahib a man has come outside, he says your brother has sent him)" The gatekeeper said, Saad who was sipping his morning tea nodded, "Haan bhejo usse andar (Yes, send him inside)".

He picked up the morning newspaper with his functioning hand and started reading. Saad couldn't move for two weeks. He ordered proper bed rest. Ayesha showered him with love, took care of him, and cooked his favourite foods, but Saad was unhappy. He didn't realise he was neglecting Ayesha. Out of desperation, he even asked her to seek Seher, but she didn't come. His eyes would be on the door, waiting for her to come here by chance, but the only people who came to visit him were Razia and Ayesha.

"She hates me..."

He wanted to heal, get back on his feet, and get his power back. He felt weak, useless lying on the bed all day. He couldn't walk to the washroom on his own. He would get nightmares of his sister watching him through the window. He would find himself in the tower and her looking at him with a ghostly smile. The nightmares were following him everywhere. Her words echoed in his brain, and he realised it was Andalib's curse taking form. Seher hated him because of the curse, "Ayesha Maulvi Sahib ko bulana raat ko (Ayesha call the maulvi tonight)"

"Ji (yes)"

The baby was crying, his whining was causing him annoyance, "Ayesha isko lejao, kaan dard hogya din bhar cheekhta rehta hai ye (Ayesha take him away, his crying is causing me headache)".

Ayesha stopped in her tracks, his negligence she had ignored, him favouring Seher, missing her that too she ignored. But this one cut deep. For nine months, she had let the baby grow in her uterus, but for Saad, the baby was a source of headache. He didn't ask once to see him, his own blood, his son, Saad didn't want to see his son. And it hurt. It hurt so badly, he had asked her to look for Seher, to give him reports of her but never Musa. Did he even know his name?

She was his wife, the mother to his kid. But he was after the woman who hated him, who wanted to curse him. Her hands trembled as she held in the tears, picking up Musa she kissed his forehead, looking at his innocent grey eyes, she could see Saad in him, but Saad didn't wanted to see him. Picking up his toys and blanket, she walked out of the room.

A man entered the haveli looking around the extravagant castle, and he saw a lake ahead, large gardens that went on for miles ahead. He saw the beautiful water fountain similar to the one he saw in Sajjad's house. The extravagance was similar. They were brothers, after all.

A gentle breeze hit his face, and he heard parrots in the distance, the sound of a peacock, it was going to rain, he could tell.

His boots made a sound as he walked, the guards were eyeing him, and he remained aware of his surroundings yet lost in its beauty. He heard a beautiful melody, someone singing and he stopped, it was an angelic voice filled with grief. Someone had hurt them, and he could feel her pain through her voice.

She was sitting in the garden, and he walked away, not to disturb the woman. But the melody passed onto his lips, and he couldn't help but sing it himself. He walked up the stairs and was directed into a room.

The man looked up, and grey eyes met brown. One intimidating and the other curious. He was definitely a man of authority. Although his aura was nothing compared to the general, he looked like a man in power.

"Are you Saad Nawab Khan?"

"Yes."

The man with bright brown eyes walked a little closer, "the chief minister of Punjab sent me here. He gave me a task to escort you and his family safely to Pakistan."