~♡𝕾𝖜𝖆𝖒𝖕 𝕮𝖗𝖊𝖆𝖙𝖚𝖗𝖊 ♡~

~♡Day 7 - Swamp Creature♡~
🚧Fear, Nightmares🚧

~♡♡♡~

Living off in the swamps of Louisiana on a houseboat with your grandfather has its perks. Like the fact, you can sit outside in the early morning with freshly old-fashioned brewed coffee enjoying the sounds of nothing but nature, and smell the natural scent of the morning winds. Getting to see the stars in the clear night sky, not polluted by the lights of the city far far away. 

But it also has the parts that suck, like anything else. Like the almost hour drive home you have to make every day from work, by the time you're pulling into the gravel driveway it's already dark. Which is dangerous; alligators, snakes, coyotes, bobcats, and more could be right out of the light of your grandpa's porch light and you'd be none the wiser until it's far too late. 

It's a night like that tonight, you turned off the radio in your little shit box so as to not wake your grandfather as you pulled into the driveway with only the noise of gravel under your tires and the crickets spread about in the grass. The only lights being the old porch light and your dimmed headlights as always. You've gotten used to this spooky scene, you put the car in park and unbuckled, reaching back to grab all your shit to take it. It wasn't until you turned back around with your stuff that fear stuck you to your core.

In the light of your headlights, you saw a large thing skitter across your grandfather's yard. You watched it like a hawk as it crawled over to the tree your grandfather's last kill was still hooked up to. He must have been too tired to skin it after getting it back and hanging it up. The thing stood on its back legs making it look even bigger, it was too far away from the lights to see but in the shadows, it seemed things were hanging off the thing, maybe it was completely covered by the stuff. 

When it grabbed the deer your fear was set aside for a single moment as you pushed all your body weight onto the horn, maybe it was the false security of being in the car. Letting your car basically scream at the thing who jumped and ran off without the deer. Thank god! Your grandfather worked hard, and you guys needed that food! After a moment, you saw the back door of the houseboat fly open and you quickly ran out of the car, leaving everything behind to run into your grandfather's arms who quickly pulled you inside to shut and locked the door.

"What the fuck was that thing!?"

Your grandfather was looking out the window as you tried to regulate your breathing, from behind him you saw the thing crawl into the bayou. After a moment he sighed and closed the blinds, turning back to you "Dont worry about it hun, get some sleep." He left back to his room and after a few moments of standing by yourself in the dark living room, you went to your own as well. And had nightmares about a moss-covered man outside your window.

Even though you haven't seen the beast since that night, the nightmares keep coming back. The image of the huge wet moss-covered thing standing outside your window but when you wake and check nothing is ever there. After two straight weeks of this, you put your boots on and decided you'd just go sit on the porch, maybe you'd see it again. Get your questions answered. But jumped when you found your grandpa already out there.

"Couldn't sleep?" You asked as you took up the other rocking chair but the man simply shook his head "I knew you'd come out. Go back inside Y/n, that thing doesn't wanna be your friend."

"I never said it did-"

"Go back inside and stop thinking about him-"

"Him?" He sighed as he looked at you "It was a long time ago, a lonely man lived out here. No wife, no kids, no family. Name was Hizashi...or something like that. Well, one day he fell in and tangled in moss causing him to drown. No one ever found his body, hell no one knew he was missing for months." You've heard that story before, in your youth. Your grandpa loved telling stories passed down from your people to his grandkids. You nodded as you caught the glint of his shotgun and slowly backward walked back inside. Shutting the door. Going right back in your bed. Your grandfather was always superstitious but pulling out his gun for an old folk tale was a new level.

♡♡♡

Four months and the nightmares have not gone away, no things have gotten worse. You now hear it calling out to you. It's lonely. You can feel it. 

♡♡♡

"Im gonna be gone till morning, so you'll have to cook for yourself tonight." 

"Alright, pawpa. Drive safe."

12:30 am, you're awake. Yet you can hear it crying out for you. You see a shadow behind your flimsy curtain. It's right there, and it's lonely. 

♡♡♡

"Y/n I brought you some deer jerky!" 

...

"Y/n?"

He went to look for you in your room, but only found a broken window and some moss caught on the shards. 

He isn't lonely anymore

~♡♡♡~

(927 Words)

So, I was actually born and raised in the backwoods of Louisiana, The Moss Man is one of many stories my Cajun French grandpa used to tell me in my youth. But I didn't use the real folklore in this story