Chapter 13

The first week of John's time at Wellston came and went, faster than he expected if he was being honest. 

The work was tough, definitely, but the study sessions between either Blyke or Evie—Evie living up to what Roland said about her without a doubt, holy shit—helped immensely. Well, for whichever classes they shared, that is.

If not, well then, he was kinda fucked. Still, he tried his best.

Word of his altercation with Seraphina spread around like wildfire, he was in damn school paper for goodness sake, apparently. He didn't pay much attention to it but he could definitely tell the effect was prominent. The number of times someone tried to "test their luck" against him was fewer than he had expected and anytime someone did, it didn't end in their favor, only emphasizing he wasn't one to mess with.

There are pros and cons to building up a reputation but if being left alone is one of them, it's definitely a pro. 

...Roland still seemed hesitant around him though so, there is of course a downside to it. Evie still seemed unbothered, but to be fair, she hadn't seen what went down.

Another bother was just...the atmosphere that hung in English class first thing in the morning. With both him and Seraphina being in it there's been this...tension that's only raised by everyone and the mothers whispering about it. 

There were a few times he thought to just walk over, maybe see how she was feeling, but he'd back himself out of it, not wanting to impose upon her. As long as she didn't mess with him, he wouldn't mess with her.

"Everyone, please bring your attention to me!" The young teacher spoke. "I'm going to be going over the details of the term project!" She spoke with a smile, somehow.

And there it was, the thing John's been dreading since the 2nd week started. This is what being transferred late does to you, he just got here damn it!

From what John could gather when he wasn't busy sulking, it was pretty much what Blyke said. A three-part, three-week, project where each week they cover a different book written by Speareshake. They would give a presentation for their work and be graded for it.

"If there are no questions, I will now list the pairings."

Wait, shit, I didn't know about that.

Here comes the anxiety.

"Auriel and Elaine."

I barely talk to anyone in this class, it's gonna be awkward and it's gonna suck! Oh, maybe I could get paired with Blyke—. 

"Blyke and Isen."

Fuuuuuuuck, Why couldn't Evie be in this class?! Roland?!

"Hower and Mardin."

That guy's in here?

A few more names were paired together, who they belonged to was anyone's guess to John as he continued to grow anxious before he pondered something.

Don't tell me...

"John and Seraphina."

...Paired by closeness in levels...Son of a b—

The rearranging of seats occurred and in the end, John sat in the seat in front of the ever-silent girl, leaning against the wall, arms crossed.

"So...got any ideas?" He asks, only glancing at the girl, though he quirked an eyebrow upon seeing her raise from her seat.

"Come with me." She spoke—ordered?—before beginning her walk to exit the classroom.

...Huh, alright.