Chapter 20

"So, what's the chance of us still getting an A on the project?" John asks, rhythmically tapping on his phone, brow furrowed in concentration. He leaned forward in his chair.

Meanwhile, sitting across from him with perfect posture, Seraphina closed one eye-both to think and to make a game a little more challenging. Try to, at least.

"Well, obviously, you ruined our chance of getting a 100 overall. Thanks for that again, really appreciate it," She begins, the monotone in her voice aiding her sarcasm.

It makes John snort, "No problem, anyti-shit!" He curses underneath his breath-making sure it wasn't too loud, being in a library and all-as the distraction made his pig drop closer to the ground than it really should've.

So dumb. Seraphina thought with a small smile, satisfied, before she continues.

"If we can get 100s on the next two parts of the project-"

John interrupts, "Which isn't necessary but would be nice."

-Seraphina doesn't acknowledge it. "Our overall score would be a 95 at the end of it which...isn't bad, I suppose," She said, shrugging.

John resists the urge to roll his eyes, needing to keep his eyes on his phone screen. Yeah, to you maybe. Dad probably would've thrown me a party if I had ever managed to get one.

"It sucks extra credit doesn't seem to be much of an option either." He added.

Seraphina offers, "...We could dress you up as a clown, have you act out a scene or two," but then quickly looks up. "Wow, you got the first half done already, how eager."

"You're fucking hilarious."

Then, he hums, slightly annoyed. He turns his phone for Seraphina to see his game over screen.

"15, first try," He says, the number being his score.

Seraphina lips curl into a playful smirk. She turns her phone to him, displaying her score.

His eyes widen, 30?!

"That's a shame, I expected better." Seraphina said, whatever small bit of intent was in her voice, it only meant to challenge him.

"Don't get too comfy on that pedestal." John says, snatching his phone back off the wooden table, meeting Seraphina with a smile of his own. "We all know first tries don't mean shit."

"I'll need some proof if you want me to believe that," She retorts, starting the game over as he does the same.

Now all that was spoken between the two were numbers and taunts. All the focus poured into guiding the mythical flying pig through the lime green pipes.

"Look, met your 30!"

"41."

...

"Surpassed it, 45!"

"37. My finger slipped, it won't happen again."

"Ha!"

...

"Damn it, down to 35??"

"53."

"Yeah yeah, another game already!"

...

"Eat this, 75!"

"96."

"HOW THE FU-"

Long story short, John got his ear almost torn off by the librarian and Seraphina's day was more than made.

"I apologize for his outbursts, miss. I'll make sure it doesn't happen again."