Chapter 17 : Norbert

An unspoken understanding prevailed among them: Maia wouldn't push them to back Snape, and the trio wouldn't try to convince her of Quirrell's innocence. Despite this agreement, tensions lingered. Maia considered the trio excessively idealistic, while they found her perspectives rather peculiar.

Harry had taken to encouraging Quirrell with a smile whenever they passed him, while Ron defended Quirrell against those who mocked his stutter. In contrast, Maia would give a galleon to those laughing at Quirrell, insisting that his stutter was fake. When Harry reprimanded her, she mumbled something about Quirrell's performance.

Meanwhile, Hermione was preoccupied with studying schedules and colour-coding her notes. Harry and Ron were indifferent, but Hermione persistently nagged them to follow suit. Maia, in an unexpected twist, supported Hermione with her study plans.

"Hermione, the exams are ages away," Ron protested.

"Ten weeks," Hermione snapped. "That's not ages; that's like a second to Nicolas Flamel."

"But we're not six hundred years old," Ron retorted. "Anyway, what are you studying for? You already know it all."

"What am I studying for? Are you crazy?" Hermione screeched. "You realize we need to pass these exams to get into the second year? They're crucial! I should have started studying a month ago. I don't know what's gotten into me..."

The teachers overloaded them with homework, making the Easter holidays less enjoyable for the boys. However, Maia and Hermione reveled in the opportunity to immerse themselves in magical knowledge.

Maia had been practicing magic for a while, delving into non-verbal spells to prepare for the future. She believed starting early would make her seem like a prodigy. The trio, meanwhile, struggled with their studies, but Maia's proficiency only fueled their determination.

One day, as they were studying in the library, Hagrid entered unexpectedly, concealing something behind his back. Suspicion arose instantly.

"What are you doing in the library, Hagrid?" Harry inquired, intrigued.

Hagrid hesitated before replying, "Just lookin'. What about you lot?"

Their curiosity piqued, the trio pressed him for information about the Sorcerer's Stone's guardian. Hagrid reluctantly shared some details, revealing the involvement of various teachers in guarding the Stone.

"Snape?" Harry questioned, surprised.

"Yeah, yer not still on about that, are yeh? Look, Snape helped protect the Stone; he's not about to steal it," Hagrid reassured them.

"I told you!" exclaimed Maia, but the others' expressions turned elsewhere, focusing on the information about the Stone's guardian.

During a subsequent visit to Hagrid's hut, they discovered he had acquired a dragon egg. Maia expressed concern, suspecting foul play, but Hagrid dismissed her worries, convinced he had won the egg fair and square.

The trio and Maia continued assisting Hagrid with the dragon. As Norbert grew, Ron ended up with a painful dragon bite. Panicked, he visited the hospital wing, where Madam Pomfrey tended to his wound.

However, Ron's condition worsened, and it became apparent that Norbert's bite was poisonous. Worried about Ron, they devised a plan to send Norbert to Charlie, Ron's older brother in Romania. With Charlie's approval secured, they set a date for the dragon's departure, arranging a clandestine meeting on the tallest tower at midnight on Saturday.

On the designated night, Harry, Hermione, and Maia, hidden under the Invisibility Cloak, carefully maneuvered Norbert in a crate. Their mission was progressing smoothly until they stumbled upon an unexpected scene: Professor McGonagall reprimanding Malfoy for wandering around at night.

While they watched, hidden in the shadows, they saw Professor McGonagall punish Malfoy and threaten to inform Professor Snape. Relieved, they continued their mission, sending Norbert off with Charlie's friends.

Their elation was short-lived. When they returned to the castle, they realized they had left the Invisibility Cloak on the tower. The looming figure of Filch confirmed their worst fears. Maia's warnings echoed in their minds – they were in trouble.