Chapter Seventy-Eight: Nowhere to Run

Summary: Did you all forget about Ryan? Remus didn't. And neither did Regulus. 0_0

Song: Conversations by Marney

Feeling like I'm broken

Stranded in the open

Nowhere to run from the end

I was living hopeless

And I was barely coping

Don't wanna sing that song again

This time

Maybe I could just act nice

Make believe that it's all fine

/

Don't you look me in my eyes

I'm talking soft to hide big lies

Nothing wrong with my mind

Conversations in my head

They're always changing what I said

.................................................

Remus' reluctance to fetch his letter was partly due to his awkwardness after his last interaction with McGonagall. After leaving the hospital wing, he'd answered her summons and relayed his version of the third task. He'd miraculously escaped detention for following Potter into danger. But her sincere regret over not believing the werewolf's suspicion about Daniel surprised him. She even promised him she'd grant Remus the benefit of the doubt in the future. He remained unsure how to feel or approach her after she expressed her disapproval over his not valuing himself more and reluctant appreciation that his 'terribly dangerous and reckless actions' saved a life. He avoided thinking about it, not feeling like he'd saved anybody. James wouldn't have nearly died had it not been for him! Confessing the whole year to McGonagal by admitting his fault in involving his friends had proven temping. Even with the orb safe, he couldn't ignore his smothering guilt, which James made worse by initially treating him like a hero. Remus' bolting and hiding anytime the topic surfaced eventually made his friend get the hint. Thank Merlin.

Since returning from Christmas break, Remus wished this remarkably long year would end. Next year must be peaceful and uneventful; otherwise, he'd go mental. Remus teasingly expressed this to the Marauders, who, while they agreed now, couldn't be expected to maintain the sentiment next year. The werewolf would cross that bridge when he got there.

At least he'd convinced his friends, who'd offered moral support to ease Remus' nerves, to let him go alone. They didn't know he'd nearly reached safety before going after James. He couldn't risk McGonagall mentioning it. He'd already experienced enough harassing comments from Sirius, who repeatedly called him mental and foolish. Remus couldn't stand any more, even if the continuous criticism originated from Sirius blaming his actions on arrogance. Unfortunately, refuting the lie would only worsen matters. If only the Prewetts had kept to themselves how Remus had nearly entered the Inferri pit before they intervened! The werewolf could have pleaded insanity from the toxic air but refused to bring more attention to the fact. However, while he couldn't avoid his roommates, he'd kept clear of the Prewetts and Patricia.

Why could no one leave him alone?

With a heavy heart, he approached Professor McGonagall's classroom. He genuinely would have made it there this time, not wanting to lie to his friends more than necessary. But Remus glimpsed Ryan, whom he hadn't heard from since finding him with Regulus. All his written messages had gone unanswered, so how could he pass up following the Slytherin to the owlery? It was an unsurprising destination, considering Ryan wrote to his nan often. Remus supposed it made sense. James' parents had even required daily correspondence from their son until the school year concluded.