Chapter Eighty: Scribbled Lines

Summary:The letter from Corbyn answers as many questions as it leaves, so Remus spends the time reflecting and trying not to fret about whether his father will abandon him.

Song: Time (2023 Remastered) by Pink FloydThe sun is the same in a relative way, but you're olderShorter of breath and one day closer to deathEvery year is getting shorter, never seem to find the timePlans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled linesHanging on in quiet desperation is the English wayThe time is gone, the song is over, thought I'd something more to say /Far away across the fieldThe tolling of the iron bell calls the faithful to their kneesTo hear the softly spoken magic spellsAN:I tried to make the reminders of past information not too dull for those who chose to re-read. But for those who didn't want to re-read the entire year, I also tried to include enough information to jog their memories. It was a tricky balance, and I apologise if I didn't find it.

(Because Wattpad does not allow words to be crossed out, imagine the non-italicised words in the letter as ones that were scribbled over.)

.................................................

I regret to inform you that I have no idea how to begin this letter. While I was nervous about speaking to you in person, I think it would have been easier. Perhaps not. I feel like I should start at the beginning, provided you read this letter to the conclusion. Corbyn assured me you are the type of student who would do so. I suppose he would know you better than I. Still, try to stay with me now. I know it will be boring.

My full name is Henry Howell, and I was born to two muggle parents without any knowledge that I had a sister 15 years older from my father's first marriage. I'm not sure how much you remember about Hope or if you even knew her maiden name. But Hope Howell is my half-sister. Yet when I entered Hogwarts, I had no inkling of this, even less so that I had a brother-in-law in the wizarding community. It wasn't until my fourth year of Hogwarts that I learned the truth during detention for Horace, ah, Slughorn to you. Anyway, I was helping the man reach out to old students who were doing well for themselves. He wanted alumni to join his Slug Club Parties to inspire current students. I apologise. I'm getting off-topic. While going through records, as he keeps a file on each promising student before and after they graduate, I came across a brief article about the latest employee of the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures, a small exposé if you will. Imagine my surprise at seeing one Lyall Lupin married to Hope Howell. I let the matter go for some time, believing it a coincidence as plenty of Howells existed in the world, but it stuck in my head. As a muggleborn, the possibility of having a legitimate wizard family member was a dream come true.

It wasn't until winter break that I was able to speak to my father and learn the truth about his leaving his first wife and his daughter named Hope when she was ten. After that, I wasted no time in reaching out. Owls are such handy, intelligent creatures, and in no time at all, I had tracked down your mother and father. We were able to meet less than a month after you were born. The first time I met my sister was the first time I met my nephew. Oh, how she adored you! Hope was such an amazing woman and a terrific sister. She seemed determined to make up for lost time, which is how I ended up living with you all for half of the summer. Lyall was much harder to impress, and with his demanding job, he wasn't around often. But once he realised I was interested in what he did, he warmed up to me some, and while we were never close, I was family, so he obtained a job for me after graduation. Therefore, I was around often. I do believe I saw your mother and you once a week until that damned work trip. I'm getting ahead of myself. It's clear you don't remember me, but I would like to impress upon you how you and your mother meant the world to me. She even made me your godfather! To this day, it's probably one of my happiest memories proudest moments.