Chapter Seventy-Six: Back to the Start

Summary: Remus faces consequences for being so reckless during the tournament. Forced to stay in the hospital wing—'big surprise'—he discovers a shocking secret.

Song: Right Back to Where We Started From by Maxine Nightingale

And If you get hurt

By the little things I say

I can put that smile back on your face

Ooh and it's alright right and it's coming 'long

We got to get right back to where we started from

Love is good, love can be strong

We got to get right back to where we started from

AN: The song is really only applicable for the first half of the chapter with the Marauders but the 'getting back to where we started from' sort of works in a sad way as well as a happy one for the friends and similarly for the second half ^^'

.................................................

Remus' restlessness increased after Dumbledore left, his vision slowly growing better as his head pulsed painfully in time to all the questions he grappled with. Some he had debated asking Dumbledore about. However, Sirius' and Peter's absences from the hospital wing surely meant they weren't injured. While Ryan's betrayal still felt fuzzy and hard to focus on in his mind, he couldn't deny how worry gnawed at him. And how did Daniel get away? Was Fiona alright? What had Dumbledore been about to say to him before changing his mind? His head was buzzing with the inescapable, endless questions.

Luckily, it took only half an hour for Peter to rush into his little area. His voice was hushed and urgent as he sent a spell to keep their voices from carrying. It sent all the hairs on the back of Remus' neck standing on end. He agonised over what had happened to Sirius for one dreadful moment before catching up to what the younger boy was saying.

"James is holding him back, but Sirius is in a foul mood. He had a run-in with Bellatrix, who made it sound like you two had died." Remus still couldn't see much, but it was impossible to mistake the tears in his voice. "James wasn't given much of a choice but to fill Sirius in, and Fabian and Gideon filled in all the gaps that James was leaving to try to keep you out of trouble. James did mention, however, that you can't see. He stayed behind to keep Sirius from storming in here but thought it best to warn you. If it weren't for Fabian and Gideon, the git would already be chewing you out. We'll try to keep him as preoccupied as possible in hopes he calms down some, but you ought to know--"

"What ought Remus to know?" Sirius asked sharply, shoving his way through the curtain as if he owned the whole damn ward. Remus wasn't sure whether to feel annoyed or relieved. Sirius' pissiness was for reasons the werewolf could only begin to comprehend, but at least he and Peter were safe.

Hoping to avoid repercussions for his reckless actions earlier, Remus took a chance to set the tone for the conversation. "Peter was explaining how the Marauders will need to figure out how to bury a body by the time you are done with Bellatrix," he commented as nonchalantly as he could manage. If the conversation could stay on her, and it shouldn't be that hard to keep an outraged Sirius focused on his family, then maybe Remus could get away with not getting chewed out. Peter made a squeal of disbelief, probably for being thrown under the bus, or perhaps he found it foolish for Remus to try to control Sirius' rage. Honestly, it was probably a bit of both.

Sirius didn't react for a moment, and Remus wondered if it was a blessing not to be able to see his facial expressions or an unfortunate disadvantage. "It's going to be two bloody bodies if you keep pulling dumb shit like diving headfirst into Inferi." Dammit.