·twenty three·

A week had passed since the encounter in the infirmary and progressively, things were starting to change for Renjun and Chenle.

Their relationship had developed into one filled with constant cuddles and light kisses; joyful and warm and they swore that every moment they spent in each other's company was the best they could've possibly shared.

In terms of school, Donghyuck and his friends had stopped bothering Chenle and his ravenette friend was glad, Chenle had started to smile a lot more without prompt and he was happier now than when Renjun had first met him, just when he'd returned.

After 'The Fight' — as pupils insistently called it — things seemed slightly different though. All the students were more protective over their treasured trio, and whenever Jaemin would chance a look at Renjun from across the dinner hall and move to make his way towards him, there would always be a disruption. Some girl or boy that tried to steal his attention away before he got to Renjun's table, not that Renjun particularly minded.

Jaemin had the power to just waltz passed the people that stopped him anyway, but he never did, so the boy guessed he'd just changed his mind.

Actually, it was the completely unintentional threat that laid steadfast in the elder's gaze, that stopped the brunet. Renjun could have been laughing like a clown for ten minutes straight, but as soon as he saw the younger approaching his table, he'd stiffen and his eyes would narrow into slits; a very unsubtle warning that flashed across his molten orbs.

The younger boy didn't want to cause any further damage to the already shredded pieces of the friendship they had left — if it could even be called that. And it's not like Renjun had meant to be so hostile either, but it was like a default bodily reaction towards anyone he thought could harm his best friend.

If Jaemin and his sidemen could do it once, they could do it again, no matter how nice they acted in the present.

‣‣

Today was a particularly rainy day, rendering Renjun and Chenle incapable of going out to a courtyard like they usually did at lunch time. They were sitting in the cafeteria at one of the benches on the far end and Renjun tuned in as Chenle had started to recount his day so far. Apparently, he had gotten through his sociology class with moderate ease, something that was very new for the blonde, but Renjun didn't comment on it. He also stated that he didn't 'completely fail' his Korean Language paper like he'd assumed he would.

(Renjun patted himself on the back for that, making Chenle squint at him weirdly. He deserved it though, because obviously, it was all courtesy to Renjun's amazing tutoring skills. The younger was a lost cause before the elder had offered to help.)

(And to be completely frank, Chenle only tried so hard during their study sessions together, because Renjun would reward him with a kiss for every answer he got right. He'd never dare to confess it though, he'd be positively skinned by the ravenette for not taking his education seriously enough.)

Their time together was cut rather short in the end, Renjun listening fondly to his best friend as he ranted about how much he hated his Science teacher, Mr. Kang, when the bell had rang.

Well, it was clear that Chenle didn't care as he waddled alongside Renjun to the latter's Algebra class, "-nd he keeps picking on my Korean and screamed at me for calling him Brian, but he's literally the one that told me to call him that. And now he keeps referring to himself as 'YoungK' and it makes me cringe so bad and oh my god I hate science so-"

"Easy there, Lele, remember to breathe otherwise you'll die and I'll be forced to throw your body into a lake."

"Why can't you just bury me?"

"Because I don't want to? Fish deserve better food anyways."

"heY-"

A mischievous grin painted itself onto Renjun's face as he bolted away from his enraged friend, practically flying down the corridor and bursting through the door of his classroom so hard, it almost fell off of its hinges.

Chenle tumbled after him, curses on his tongue as he slammed the door open again, just after it had clicked shut.

"Listen here, you three centimetre short radish, you will not get away with this! Mark my words, I'll-" he was cut off by a disturbed cough sounding through the air, Mr. Yoon staring at him pointedly as Renjun giggled silently at him from his seat in the back.

Chenle glared at the elder playfully before shuffling backwards and letting the door close once more, before sprinting off to his lesson with his arms flailing around in the air.

He was totally going to be late to his hospitality & catering class, but he couldn't stop the pretty smile that graced his lips at the faint echo of Renjun's laughter nor could he stop his heart from swelling at the thought of being the cause of such a heavenly sound.

Maybe his Kun ge was right when he told Chenle that the younger was positively whipped for Renjun. But maybe — just maybe — he didn't mind.

And with that on his mind, the blonde slowed to a skip as he happily trotted into his lesson, albeit thirteen minutes late.

‣‣

The rest of the school day wasn't very fruitful and as the bell for the end of the last lesson rang, Renjun let out a long exhale, slumping in his seat and resting there for a few minutes before inevitably getting up.

He packed his things and made his way outside the building and waited by the gates for Chenle, who'd texted him to tell him that he'd be a little late since he was 'discussing some last minute things' with his music teacher.

Miss Chou had assigned her class a big project that would make up at least 40% of their final grades and Chenle honestly wouldn't care if this was any other subject, but music was important to him and he didn't want to fail.

He let out a frustrated groan as the brunette in front of him gave him an apologetic smile, "I'm sorry Chenle, I really can't make any exceptions if you don't at least try."

She ushered him towards the door and said softly, "plus, you're one of my best students, I'm sure you'll find yourself a perfect team."