Chapter 3 - Alex's choice

Alex Danvers was a strong, confident, and capable woman with short, dark brown hair that perfectly frames her face. She had a toned, athletic build that reflected her past military training and her dedication to physical fitness. Her sharp witty attitude made her a force to be reckoned with.

She was debriefing some agents. Her natural skills as a born leader didn't go unnoticed by the director of the DEO, the fearless Hank Henshaw, also known as The Martian Manhunter. Hank approached Alex and she tensed up, uncertain of his intentions.

"At ease, Agent Danvers. I just want to know if everything is okay. Let's go to the command center." Hank waved his hand and started walking, with Alex following him. As they passed the polished concrete walls, Hank asked for a security report, and they headed to the command center.

The DEO, hidden beneath the disguise of an ordinary government building, was a maze of dimly lit, high-tech corridors. Polished steel walls supported the weight of classified operations. Several agents moved around, surrounded by the noises of blinking screens and flashing indicators. It was a place of secrets and strategy, where cutting-edge technology met the vigilance of those protecting the world from extraterrestrial threats.

"Everything is nominal, sir. Not a single problem has arisen. It's just a sunny autumn day," Alex said.

Hank grunted, "Uhh, I find this unsettling. The world can't be this calm. Since Superman went back to Metropolis, CADMUS has been strangely discreet."

Alex was no longer paying attention. She was looking at her smartphone.

"Problem, Alex?"

"Nothing I can solve. It's just Maxwell Lord texting me," she said, happily annoyed.

"What does he want?"

"He's asking me out on a date. I don't know what to do. I can't tell if he's a friend or foe."

"Think this way," Hank said, placing his hand on his chin. "You'd better go out with him. See what he really wants. Maybe you can extract something from him. We need to keep an eye on him. He's a very intelligent man who knows too much about you and Supergirl."

"I have a feeling he won't leave me alone until I meet him." She held the phone close to her face. "We have to admit that without his help and wits we could have never defeated Non and Indigo."

Supergirl, along with the Department of Extranormal Operations (DEO), successfully stopped Non's scheme to use the Myriad device, preventing the subjugation of the human race. Through a collaboration that included the brilliant mind of Maxwell Lord, they managed to counter Non's influence and restore peace to Earth. Their combined efforts dodged a catastrophe, ensuring that the people of Earth could continue to live their lives without being controlled by Myriad's malevolent effects.

Alex remembered that the Myriad device, designed to manipulate human will, had gone haywire, posing an imminent threat to humanity. With Supergirl and the Martian Manhunter engaged in a fierce battle against Non and his renegade Kryptonians, she felt helpless. The machine's influence pushed her to the brink, and she could barely hold on to her senses.

At the time, beside her was Maxwell Lord, and they exchanged a knowing look, understanding that the situation was dire. In that critical moment, her last thought was a mixture of sadness and gratitude for having him by her side, despite the circumstances. It was a significant moment, shared between them, it had a profound impact on their feelings for each other as they faced an uncertain fate.

Non wanted to use the Kryptonian technology to establish his rule and transform Earth into a new Krypton, forcing humanity to submit to his leadership. His ultimate goal was to create a world where Kryptonians could prosper and reign supreme, at the expense of humanity's free will. Fortunately, Non was stopped once and for all.

"I'm aware of his importance and exploits at that moment. But you know, Alex, megalomaniac men often have an intense desire for power and control, and having their enemies close to them allows them to monitor and manipulate them more easily," Hank explained his motives to Alex, knowing Maxwell Lord's cunning nature and scientific abilities. "Or maybe he just wants to take you to dinner, Alex. It's not impossible, you know. You're an attractive, smart woman."

Hank remembered that times Maxwell Lord posed as a philanthropist, but in reality, was scheming for money and power. He believed this was the worst kind of enemy one could have. A devious man who could exploit people and convince them he was only acting for the greater good was ten times harder to stop than a regular mad scientist.

"Okay, okay. You've convinced me. I'll accept his invitation, at least we'll keep an eye on him." She tried to hide her excitement.

"Keep me informed. And most of all, be careful," Hank Hanshaw said.