Chapter 30 - Food For Thought

Supergirl glided through the corridors of the Fortress of Solitude, she flew carefully so as not to disturb Superman's slumber. The mesmerizing crystal walls mirrored her every movement as she moved silently. She felt a strong desire within her to enter the chamber that held the forbidden files of Krypton. These were records her cousin believed she wasn't prepared to comprehend or explore. In her childhood on Krypton, access to these files was restricted to a select few. Kryptonians were renowned for their bureaucratic nature, prioritizing practicality over art in their culture. Their focus centered on procedures, science, and the pragmatic aspects of life. A handful of philosophers had the need to explore into the collective consciousness of their society.

Supergirl moved with agility, slipping into a room where the lights responded to her presence and illuminated the surroundings. "Dim the lights," she murmured, her voice hushed to avoid disturbing Superman's sleep. Focusing on the desk before her, she began to press the keys on the keyboard. Kryptonian symbols lit up, and icons appeared on the screen. Her hands and fingers danced across the keys until she located the files she sought - Gothivan. A list of archives materialized, prompting a satisfied smile from her. She selected the first entry, and an instructional video was displayed, featuring a figure dressed in white and gray, giving specific instructions.

Supergirl's eyes were attentive as she explored the chamber. Getting a pen and a notebook, she couldn't contain her delight at finally accessing the information she was looking for, something she had believed to be impossible for years.

"Kara, what are you doing?" Superman flicked on the lights.

"Kal! You're awake. You startled me," she said, hiding the pen and notebook behind her back. She tried to turn off the presentation behind her, but her focus on Superman left her struggling to locate the right button.

"Oh, Kara. Out of all the sessions and classes we've had, you're intrigued by the Forbidden Files of Kryptonian Culinary Secrets," he chuckled. "Of all the galaxies, it had to be you."

Supergirl's cheeks turned slightly red as she attempted to explain herself. "Oh, Kal.You know how I can't resist good food. I thought I'd never get to experience the flavors only our parents did," she said, placing her hand on her head with a shy smile.

"Did you know our parents labeled it as 'forbidden' to prevent us from eating it and potentially getting sick? Some recipes weren't meant for everyone."

"But now, with our superpowers, I doubt either of us would catch a stomach flu if we try something new."

"I know I won't win this argument with you, Kara." Superman surrendered to her desires. "You know what? I'll help you prepare one of those dishes. You've been so stressed lately, a nice meal might cheer you up."

"Alright." She lifted her arms. "Which one should we try?"

"Uh, let's see. How about this one? Lefarth krih," Superman asked.

"Grilled fish?"

"Yes, well, at least we have the source material right here in the ocean. I'll go gather some, and you can get the rest in 'Smallville'. I'll see you in a few minutes," he chuckled. "I must be a really good cousin, searching for fish in the chilly waters of the Antarctic."

'Smallville' was how Superman referred to the caldera thousands of meters below them, a place he had carefully designed to be his new home for the coming years. Kara relished every moment spent there. They even held one of their classes in front of his house, by the charming forest. During this time, they talked about "The Painted Door" by Canadian writer Sinclair Ross, a story that vividly described different settings and the intense feelings of being isolated in a marriage. It was clear that this story related to his future with Lois, and he sought her opinion on it. Even Superman had his uncertainties.

Kara flew to 'Smallville' to gather more ingredients. The night had fallen, and she employed her super senses to locate onions, celery, carrots, tomatoes, and mushrooms. The rustling of the wind and the chorus of crickets composed a serene melody in the idyllic caldera.

Both heroes found themselves at ease in the kitchen. Kara had a cap along with red and blue baseball jerseys, while Clark wore a playful 'hail the chef' apron. The place felt cozy and welcoming as they followed the directions of the Kryptonian chef.

Kara, could you pass me the marinade and the basting brush?"