Chapter 28 - Midnight Spotlight

National City's lights spread the long skyglow that outlined the luminescence across the horizon. For the common citizens, the celestial wonders were hidden. Occasionally, shooting stars flew across the dark expanse and their presence was unnoticed by ordinary eyes. Yet, high above the clouds, Supergirl flew, her blue eyes fixed on the space beyond. Her thoughts were on her current situation, a chain of events taking place in her life.

Balancing her new job with the growing distance between her and her sister unsettled her. She lay on a small cloud, inhaling a deep breath of peaceful wind. The vast sky remained undisturbed, unaware of the destruction that happened a few hours ago on the surface. The clash against Ignisia had been difficult, a savage struggle where she luckily hadn't been victim to Promethium poisoning this time. She was thinking about Mon-El and she hoped he was alright.

Earlier in the evening, she had been on the brink of confessing her feelings for him and then in the blink of an eye, she found herself in battle and the Daxamite wounded. She twirled mid-air, dispersing the cloud that had enveloped her. The idea of going to the DEO and seeing her step-father crossed her mind, but she wasn't ready for that encounter. The thought of joining her family and Maxwell Lord in celebration — the apparent good samaritan — felt uncomfortable.

Another notion came to mind, she wondered if she should go to the Fortress of Solitude to confide in Clark. However, she knew he was likely with Lois, and she was reluctant to intrude upon their special moment. A soft beep grabbed her attention, and she checked her phone. It was a text message from Hank Henshaw.

"Are you okay? I'm worried about you. You didn't show up after we apprehended Equus and Ignisia."

She was surprised her phone had a signal; she was high up in the night sky. Right then, she didn't want to talk to anyone from the DEO. The place would be packed with OMAC agents, and probably General Lane too. If he gave her that condescending look, she would put him on the ground like she did the last time.

"I'm okay. Don't worry. I'm just trying to wrap my head around everything that's happening tonight. Say hi to Alex and Jeremiah for me. I'll talk to them tomorrow," she texted back before turning off her phone.

She stood up and took to the sky. She had made up her mind to seek advice and consolation from an old friend. She knew they had some things to sort out, but she was determined to salvage her friendship with Winn. She noticed something interesting about her suit. It reacted to her emotions, she could sense it every time she was near Mon-El and surprisingly Winn. Actually it was more than a simple reaction, it was a synchronization between her and the suit, it incorporated her like ripples on a pond. They were light and smooth, but the waves made by the suit led her completely to a new level of sensations. She knew the suit wasn't trying to take control as she was glad it gave her this new perception about herself and the environment around her. She spinned and headed to the suburbs of the city.

*********

"Who's knocking at this hour?" Winn complained as he opened the door.

"Hey, Winn," Kara said shyly, clearly nervous as she clasped her hands behind her back.

"Kara?! Supergirl?!" Winn blinked in surprise, not expecting to see her at all.

A feminine voice came from his bedroom. "Who is it, boo boo?"

"It's Kara, sweet cheeks," he shouted back.

Normally, Kara would've laughed and made a joke about their cute nicknames, but this time she held back, not wanting to risk getting the door slammed in her face. She was too curious about who Winn's date might be.

"What do you want, Kara?" he asked with a cold frown in his face.

"Winn, I'm coming," the voice said.

Kara quickly understood the situation. Placing her hand on her chest, she activated her suit's nanites, and in seconds, her Supergirl outfit morphed into the casual clothes she'd worn earlier with Mon-El. She noticed Winn's fascinated stare as he watched the tiny robots at work.

"Now that's cool. What is that, nanites?" he asked.

"You don't know half of it, Winn."

"Come on in," he invited her warmly. She was glad that the Stealth Suit was the reason for the ice-breaker between them.

Stepping into Winn Schott's apartment for the first time, Kara's eyes widened. The living room had a perfect mix of science and comfort. Contemporary furniture decorated the area, each piece carefully arranged for both functionality and style. Shelves displayed plenty of gadgets and vintage sci-fi treasures. Action figures, placed carefully, added a playful touch, giving a bit of whimsy into the space. The soft lighting contributed to a warm and inviting set up. Very Winnish on his part.

"Welcome to Casa de Winn," he said, trying to sound casual.