Chapter 34 - The Daxamites Are Coming

(Note: Please, listen to the soundtrack "Ignis" by Scott Buckley while you read it. It will immerse you even more in the story)

Winn, Isabella, and Guardian stood behind Supergirl, seeking protection from the surrounding horde of enemies. They bravely tried to hold their ground, but the odds were against them. Maxwell grinned with control of the situation, clapping his hands mockingly as he addressed the small band of heroes.

"Very good, very good. Brave to the core. Too bad it's all for nothing."

Supergirl spotted Alex rushing toward them, and it was clear that even though they were on opposite sides, Alex still cared for her friends.

"That's enough, Max. We don't need to escalate this any further. They're completely surrounded. We don't have to harm anyone. Guys, it's time to surrender. I don't want anyone getting hurt. We can work this out. "Let's call it quits and I'll take you into custody. We don't need to create a scene here."

"Tell that to yourself," Mon-El replied with anger, unable to move. "Your master wants to eliminate us."

"Wait a minute, Mon-El. Max isn't my master; he's my boyfriend, and we're working together to save the world."

"No, Alex, we're the ones trying to save it. Can't you see?" Supergirl said.

"No, Supergirl, we're not having this conversation again. Once everyone calms down, we'll return to Stryker's, and everyone will have a lawyer. I'm trying to defuse a bomb here, you guys."

Supergirl ignored Alex's attempt at a truce and scanned her surroundings. Their enemies stood down, seemingly awaiting Maxwell Lord's orders to attack. She was particularly concerned about the Vanguard Unit. The others were merely brute force, but Major Thompson and his team could turn the tide of the battle with their advanced scientific tactics. Supergirl took her time, waiting for the opportune moment to free Hank from his cage.

"Guardian, what's the ETA?" Supergirl asked.

"They should be here any moment now, Supergirl."

"Who should be here?" Isabella asked.

"Our very own Mission: Impossible agent," Supergirl whispered.

"You mean..." Winn was trying to guess what was about to happen.

The silence was broken by multiple buzzing sounds, each one ticking with an urgent insistence that grabbed everyone's attention in the compound. Guardian quickly raised his shield to protect Winn and Isabella. Alex, realizing what was happening, hurried to shield Maxwell. The OMAC agents were left confused, desperately seeking targets in the air.

"Fire in the hole!" Guardian shouted.

Multiple explosions erupted, scattering everyone and diverting the villains' attention. Following the explosions, gas grenades were thrown, covering the area in a thick mist. People scattered in all directions, and shots were fired. In the heart of the mayhem, everyone was on the ground looking for protection, except Supergirl, who remained unaffected. Using her X-ray vision, she pinpointed Hank's location and flew to release him.

"About damn time, Supergirl," he said.

"Are you up to this, Hank? Alex is with them."

"Don't worry, Kara. Let's get Maxwell first. We'll deal with Alex later. We shouldn't hurt her."

"Never! But I'm afraid she might hurt herself."

"Agreed, let's move quickly," he said, then turned to President Olivia Marsdin. "Ma'am, once this is over, we'll ensure your safety, okay? It's too dangerous out there. It's better if you stay inside." Hank morphed to his alter ego - the Martian Manhunter.

Without delay, Supergirl took off in the direction of the rebel leader. It turned out to be Lucy Lane, dressed in full tactical gear, giving orders to her strike team.

"I'm glad you're here. Lucy, you may have just saved the world," Supergirl said.